I've lost network access to my other 2 computers

mesmd 09:11 20 Apr 06

Hi,
Something happened to my win xp computer's ability to access the 2 other computers and the network drive attached to my home network via a wired linksys router.The problem only involves this one computer. The other computers can access each other but not this computer. Everything was fine for 2 years where I could access all computers from each computer. I think a cleaning utility several days ago must have deleted all network settings on this problem computer. This happened today when I rebooted this computer, the first time in several days. After the reboot, this computer had no internet access or other access to the other computers of the home network. I was able to establish an internet connection, but no other access to the other computers as mentioned. I then tried mapping their drives from this computer and I get an error saying either they are busy and not accessible, or ask the administrator(that's me)for permission , or the path I typed doe not exist. I then went to the other 2 computers that see all but this problem computer and have the same problems trying to map it from each of them that see each other but not this computer. I know for sure the anti malware and viral scans, which are done daily, are clear for all. My problem computer is a win xp and the other 2 are win 98s and the network drive is a Buffalo 120gb working well and attached to the same router. I'm sorry for this lengthy question but I know of no shorter way to state my problem.
As always, thank you all for any ideas or support you can offer.
Sincerely,

Miles

mesmd 12:22 20 Apr 06

Hi,
I just found out that Some utility or other cleaning program, without my knowledge checked the win xp firewall effecting my win xp's network drive. In addition it also renamed my Win xp's network drive. Now my problem is less as unchecking the network firewall allows this computer to access all the computers in the network. However, the other 2 computers on my network can not access this computer now, I believe, because of the name change which the other computers do not recognize. How do I go about renaming my win xp computer as the name it was originally and make it recognizable to the other 2 computers in the network. I believe it's original name was //c on miles4, however, that's been changed to some long other name I saw and can't remember how I saw it! Please tell me how, if possible, to rename this drive back to it's original name and then all computers, in the network, will be able to access it again ?

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Miles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…