I've lost my Keyboard hotkeys

Brian 00:26 17 Oct 03

I have lost the shortcut hotkeys for starting my favourite programs. I followed advice from a friend to get rid of the arrows on shortcut icons by altering the registry. -I exported the branch being edited. I got rid of the arrows, but also the keyboard 'hotkeys' Ctrl+Alt+whatever.
I imported the registry backup but to no avail.Any ideas how to restore the functionality of the keyboard shortcuts. Incidentally I can recreate these shortcut keys but they don't survive a reboot

Terrahawk 06:48 17 Oct 03

if you are using ME or XP system restore may do it for you

Stuartli 08:51 17 Oct 03

Have you tried opening the keyboard software/driver and resetting the HotKeys?

I use ikeyman.exe, which came with my Typhoon Navigator wireless keyboard and mouse; it can be set for Word or Internet hot keys as required.

User-312386 09:02 17 Oct 03

what sort of keyboard do you have?

You may have to re-install the drivers for it

Brian 12:54 17 Oct 03

thanks for efforts so far.
I should have said I'm running W98 SE. My machine has been built over the years with bits and pieces from wherever.
The keyboard I'm using at the moment is a Siemens Nixdorf. I have no software / drivers for it and it's not mentioned in the install hardware wizard database.

Stuartli 15:31 17 Oct 03

It should work with the standard Windows driver.

Have you tried removing the keyboard in Device Manager and allowing Windows to reinstall it after a reboot?

Have you also check the Properties sheet in Control Panel>Keyboard?

Stuartli 15:32 17 Oct 03

Also that your regional settings etc are set to English (UK)?

Stuartli 15:37 17 Oct 03

You can use Display to alter icons rather than messing about with the Registry..:-)

User-312386 18:44 17 Oct 03

click here

accept the terms and then go to the drivers page and select the keyboard

Brian 18:40 18 Oct 03

Because I can allocate the hotkeys in the startmenu and they will work for each program in the same windows session that they were created in, but won't after a reboot, I don't think there is a problem with the keyboard. When I check, the hotkeys are still allocated but do not work. When I delete them and re-apply them they do. Again on ly for the current session of windows.
Just in case though I did reinstall the standard 101/102 windows driver - no Siemens driver available for my (old)model.
I appreciate all the advice.
I was interested in Stuartli's advice re altering the icons via the Display properties - can you get rid of the arrow created for the shortcut icons??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…