I've just about had enough of broadband in the UK

Phil930 16:23 28 Mar 04

I am so frustrated by BT's slow development of this service. Apparantly i live outside 6km of my exchange in Basingstoke and am unable to receive it. Does anyone else know of any other wireless or satelitte connection methods?

At the moment i have been living in the USA for the past 8 months and am returning to England in August. I was hoping BT might have BB working by then but dial up england still seems to be there! its so basic. Out here i have Bellsouth 100Mbps connection and am currently using a wireless connection of 54Mbps. Yet BT in England can;t even get me past dial up.

I use the internet alot and have to find an alternative to dial up. it will be torture going from 100Mbps to 56K.

woodchip 16:25 28 Mar 04

Still using a table fork to dig the garden

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:26 28 Mar 04

Move nearer the exchnage or stay in the States. There is little more that you can do at the moment and as we are being royally shafted for taxes, I fear that you will find little popular support for renewing the whole of the Line Sysytem in the UK.

G

Graham ® 16:30 28 Mar 04

Home Highway will up you to 128K if you use both channels. click here

Phil930 16:31 28 Mar 04

Well as inpractical as my idea is i feel BT should invest in Fibre Optic cables throughout the UK!!

The name of the game is customer service and right now BT provide nothing for me and are very slow about making any changes to this.

Maybe i will stay out here, afterall they are increasing bandwidth from 100Mbps connections to 1Gbps connections as the US Government lifted a restriction on bandwidth as fibre optics are all over the place now. Now thats my kind of speed.

Even Iraq or Iran, India or Nepal has more BB capacity and speed than the UK.

arricarry 16:37 28 Mar 04

Can you get cable in your area? Not perfect but must be better than dial up. Most of UK has been dug up to lay cable networks, try good ole NTL

Sapins 16:37 28 Mar 04

A little far to go for a meal and a bed ;-)

The Spires 16:57 28 Mar 04

Yes stay out there good idea.

xquest 17:18 28 Mar 04

'Onspeed' advertise a software compression program which they say speeds up downloads and uploads by up to 5 times. Two friends have just got it (they are in a broadband-free zone) and say it does work. Not easy to actually measure the improvement but I've seen one of them using it and whilst the web site access time is not much different the appearance of, for example, jpg photos is quite snappy. No line-by-line build up, just an immediate appearance of the picture (with a loss in quality for maximum speed).
Cost is £24.99 per year, and I think a money back arrangement if not satisfied.
Click click here for their web site.

But staying in the States is the best bet - wish I was young enough to export myself there, marvellous place.

powerless 18:02 28 Mar 04

100Mbps = LAN?

MidgetMan 18:38 28 Mar 04

"The name of the game is customer service and right now BT provide nothing for me and are very slow about making any changes to this."

No it's not, it's about money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…