I've got a worm virus - HELP!

Multi_sheep 16:20 16 Nov 07

Hello all,

Basically, I've got some sort of virus/worm on my PC and when I start up my computer I can't see my start bar at the bottom or any of my desktop icons (such as IE or Word). I'm lucky as my MSN signs in automatically and Im able to access the internet by checking my emails through MSN but am unable to do anything to fix the probelm as Im restricted to what I can do.

Originally it came up with a repeated message about not being able to find a "Lsass.exe" and upon typing it into google, its a worm that is quite deadly *gulp*

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

~Scuba

sunny staines 16:24 16 Nov 07

what internet security are you running? and is it fully updated.

Multi_sheep 16:29 16 Nov 07

AVG 4 Home - I can't afford to buy a retail version :(

And I guess its fully updated, I don't know If it is or not.

johnnyrocker 16:32 16 Nov 07

when have you set it to update? one does not need to buy a 'retail' version of any AV to have adequate protection.

johnny.

mfletch 16:55 16 Nov 07

Hi,"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server.

Start your computer in safe mode {Repeat pressing of the F8 key on a restart or when starting}

Then do a System Restore if possible,

If it works download SAS Superantispyware and check for any updates,

click here

Do a full scan and let us know what it finds,

mfletch

irishrapter 16:58 16 Nov 07

Lsass.exe is not necessarily a virus, it is also the name of a process that is in windows.

Here is a quote about it:

"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server. It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This process is performed by using authentication packages such as the default Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token

Note: The lsass.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, lsass.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

Virus with same name:
W32.Nimos.Worm
W32.Sasser.E.Worm
[email protected]

p;3 18:11 16 Nov 07

maybe what you NEED to start with is the correct version OF avg which is 7.5? AND IS free FROM

click here

YOU NEED
7.5.503 exe October 22, 2007

the direct link to the exe is here
click here

try that? fully update it, reboot and run on a full deep scan

what other protection programs do you have on board?

p;3 18:16 16 Nov 07

OR is THIS what you have on there?click here
try running these 'rubbish-finding 'programs
click here
click here free for home user
and click here

free for private use

all on full deep scans

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…