I've got two Windows

Newuser2533 20:50 05 Nov 06

I re installed a legal Widows XP Pro onto my machine.. I choose the format way as I had saved all my stuff on an external drive.....no problems so far. I think I obeyed all the instructions but when I start the computer it stops at a black screen and asks me to choose between two versions of XP Pro. I always choose the first one as the second one doesn't work.
When I press enter Windows contiues.
The computer works fine and there are no problems but how do I get rid of the Windows XP Pro that is on the computer somewher, but doesen'T work.
Should I just leave it or will there be problems in the future.
Regards.
Ron

VoG II 20:54 05 Nov 06

You need to edit the boot.ini file click here

This is mine for XP Home Edition

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

phil46 20:58 05 Nov 06

When you reinstall it would have asked you if you wanted to delete that partition it sounds if you have have not done so hence why you are getting asked to choose the system,it should not cause a problem but of coarse you will have to choose every time you boot up.

Petulant 14:03 04 Mar 07

I didn't think the installation of Professional had completed as I exited the set up after the warnings appeared (I had used this version on my old pc and it had gone over the old OS with no warnings or subsequent problems)

The partition stuff is all a bit too technical for me tho' I wish it wasn't. If I had continued the set up what sort of problems might have occured? I have Intel core duo 1.66 but don't have a clue what that means but I hope it's an improvement on the 3 ghz I had previous.

I deleted the text as advised and now I get the set-up screen still offering me a choice between XP Home and now 'windows' and something in brackets in Turkish.

Now I'm torn between trying to sort partition suff out and putting the English one on or trying to get rid of the set up screen and swatting up on my Turkish LOL

Petulant 14:05 04 Mar 07

oops I posted on the wrong thread - I will paste it over to the right one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced