I've gained 12gb of hard drive space, but how??

onedaymyfriend 14:21 27 Oct 08

Good afternoon!

I have just noticed that I now have an extra 12gb of hard drive space. How is this possible? I haven't removed any large files or programmes. Coukd it be a virus of some kind? I hope not!

Any advice is much appraciated,

Darren

skidzy 16:15 27 Oct 08

XP or Vista ?

Have you run any Registry Cleaners such as Ccleaner/Reg Mechanic ?

Have you changed the way system restore works ? such as reducing its allocation.

rawprawn 16:17 27 Oct 08

Have you by any chance deleted a "Recovery Drive"
12 GB could be just about the right size.

skidzy 16:25 27 Oct 08

Good point RP,though my Vista recovery partition is under 6GB.

Im Thinking system restore has been disabled and flushed and not re-enabled,12GB could be about right depending on the capacity of the hdd.

rawprawn 16:40 27 Oct 08

Yes, that would be about right for System Restore.
My recovery is 10 GB, Vista and all the pre installed programs.

onedaymyfriend 16:47 27 Oct 08

Thanks for that guys!

It's a Sony VAIO laptop and is 10 months old. I made a recovery disc when I first bought it.

Its running with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. The only programmes I have on the laptop is Office 2003.

I haven't made any significant changes to it as I wouldn't know what I was doing.

I don't currently have any virus protection as virgin tell me that they give me protection when im on line.

I used the error checker this morning and found nothing.

Darren

Does that help?

rawprawn 16:58 27 Oct 08

First and most important get an AntiVirus Program
Free click here or click here

rawprawn 17:04 27 Oct 08

Click on Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management and tell us what you see listed as Disk 0.
Then go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore and tell us if it is monitoring your C: drive

skidzy 17:07 27 Oct 08

I cannot vouch for the Virgin security as i know nothing about it untill i have a look around.

Darren can you check System Restore has not been disabled

In your start search box,type System restore,this will be listed,click on this and agree to to UAC prompts.

On your screen you will see the system restore page and at the bottom of this will be Open System Protection,click this

Is Vista C: (system) box checkmarked ?
If not,i suggest you tick the box and apply and ok...reboot the computer.

This is a matter of elimination,if this was unticked we need to find out why as this would have been enabled by default.

skidzy 17:08 27 Oct 08

Sorry RP,cross posted you...same ideas though.

skidzy 17:10 27 Oct 08

It looks like Virgin has supplied an Anti Virus and Firewall in there package PC Guard,can you confirm this darren ?

if this is what you have installed...do NOT install another antivirus or Firewall,this will cause conflicts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…