I've forgotten my encryption number

GeeKay+Dee 22:24 08 Jun 08

Hi

I have been trying to set up my wireless connection today and seemed to have acheived this until I set up the security side of it.

Everything seemed to be ok till I generated a code. I unfortunately didn't take a note of this and I seemed to encounter problems thereafter when trying to connect to internet.

I looked in the network tab on Vista and I can see my network there with security enabled beside it. I now cannot connect to it as I am told my settings do not match this network.

Can anybody offer any help on how to reset this problem or rectify it?

Many Thanks

Strawballs 22:39 08 Jun 08

connect to your router with by network cable and access the setup pages, when you look in the security pages it should show the key used

GeeKay+Dee 22:49 08 Jun 08

Hi

Should I connect the ethernet cable to the router and access the home page (192.68....)? I'm unable to do this.

Cheers

Forum Editor 22:49 08 Jun 08

you can reset the router and start from scratch - look for a small hole somewhere on the case; it will be marked in the manual, so make sure you find the correct hole, and push a straightened paper clip into it when the router is turned on.

This will set the router back to the factory defaults, and you can begine again.

Forum Editor 22:50 08 Jun 08

Launch your browser and enter the router's configuration page IP address, as given in the manual.

GeeKay+Dee 22:52 08 Jun 08

I've tried to access the router homepage with the router connected, but it displays a message saying connection cannot be made. Diagnosing the problem doesn't solve either.

GeeKay+Dee 06:08 09 Jun 08

I also forgot to mention that when I look in my connections, I can see my LAN connection and the wireless connection which has a red cross against it. Does this make any difference?

crosstrainer 07:40 09 Jun 08

Follow the FE's suggestion and totally re-set the router.

Connect the router directly to PC via ethernet cable.

Re-set all ISP specific items.

Re-set your encyption key (make a note of it this time)

Save the settings and re-boot the router.

crosstrainer 07:45 09 Jun 08

Then save the config file (most routers allow you to do this) to a folder or location on your hard drive.

This will enable you to quickly restore the settings if things go pear shaped again.

GeeKay+Dee 11:00 09 Jun 08

Cheers everyone!

Will try this when I get home.

GeeKay+Dee 18:03 09 Jun 08

Hi

tried what was suggested above, connecting the router direct to the PC, but I can't access the netgear homepage to obtain the settings as I can't get an internet connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…