iTunes transfer to new pc fails

Simmpy 00:34 27 Dec 10

I have a large iTunes library on my desktop PC. I bought my daughter a PC for Christmas and want to transfer part of my library onto her new PC. I have copied the relevant files onto a hard drive and connected it to her PC. I have then copied the files and loaded them into the iTunes library. Once I have removed the USB drive from her PC I get a message saying the file can't be located. What am I doing wrong?

gengiscant 09:48 27 Dec 10

I have just reinstalled Windows 7 so am in a similar situation as I needed to reinstall itunes which I did.
As I had copied the whole of my itunes folder on to a external harddrive, all it took was to open the old itunes folder,select and copy all the files and then paste them into the new itunes folder.
After plugging in my ipod all is fine.

I do not believe you can copy part of the library, its all or nothing.

john bunyan 12:21 27 Dec 10

When you say you copied the files to her library, I suggest you name the whole USB HD folder something such as Daughter, and ensure all the sub folders are in it. Then on her PC with the HD attached, go to Music/File/Add folder to the Library and select the above folder.Before that, in her ITunes, Select Edit? Preferences/Advanced and ensure that the boxes "Keep ITunes Media folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder" are ticked. That way her i tunes library will make copies in her i tunes.If some paid for M4P files are included, you are allowed up to 5 PC's to use your bought music and you will have to authorise her PC but that is a seperate matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…