iTunes & QuickTime problem

interzone55 23:01 16 Sep 05

loads of issues since iTunes updated itself to v5. Initially it kept failing during installation. and it changed the IP Address of my DNS server.

I found out that the installation problem was linked to QuickTime, so I found a copy of iTunes 4.9 on line (from a link in another thread) and installed that. When launching the program it grumbles that QuickTime isn't installed, so I found a copy of QuickTime 6.5 online (Apples Quicktime link just takes you to iTunes 5) and installed that.

Now whenever I try to fire up iTunes I get this error "QuickTime failed to initialize. Error # -2095. Make sure QuickTime is properly installed on this computer".

This is seriously p***ing me off now. What have Apple done to cock up a perfectly good program so much. If they can't manage to write a simple media player, how come their OS is so good, or is that all a myth perpetrated by people who can't bear to own up to the fact that their overpriced computers are not actually that good after all!

De Marcus™ 23:14 16 Sep 05

You could always try a system restore back to when itunes was fine and deny it the opportunity to update itself. There's obviously a few bugs in the program judging by the number of posts about it of late.

interzone55 07:17 17 Sep 05

I did that and it didn't work, this is probably because the new version over-wrote the old version, not just the registry settings. System restore only seems to back up registry settings, not programs.

interzone55 16:07 17 Sep 05

Sorted now, managed to find and download QuickTime 7, after installing this on it's own I've reinstalled iTunes 5 and it's working.

It's still messing around with my DNS settings though, which is very naughty and extremely frustrating.

Anyone know why the QuickTime 7 installer is only slightly smaller (1022Kb) than the iTunes 5 & Quicktine 7 installer?

vinnyT 16:18 17 Sep 05

Where did you dl QuickTime 7 from, please.

I thought it was only for Mac os, have they released it for win, or is it a beta?

De Marcus™ 16:21 17 Sep 05

Always been available for windows click here

interzone55 16:40 17 Sep 05

vinnyT

De Marcus's link will also download iTunes, if you just want QuickTime 7 use this link click here

Cesare 17:02 24 Feb 06

Quicktime stand alone version 7 is 20MB as it also includes iTunes software.

vinnyT 12:34 25 Feb 06

Thanks alan14 & De Marcus™

Gazzerr 16:28 25 Feb 06

I still have the same problem- trouble is the data speeds are very low here so it takes well over an hour to download. Is it possible to get it from a disc somewhere?

interzone55 21:39 05 Mar 06

If you only want Quick Time try this software instead, it allows playback of all the QT files, but doesn't interfere with system settings

Quick Time Alternative
click here
it's 12.2mb

Real Alternative
click here
This is 6.39mb and plays Real Media stuff without messing with your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…