itunes - is it safe to give credit card details?

brainstorm 17:29 16 May 08

My son has a gift card for itunes, but to activate it he needs to enter credit card details on the programme (not a web site that is https or with a yellow padlock). Is it safe to do so? How do I know it is safe? I have never entered such personal information into anything but a secure site before.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 16 May 08

not a web site that is https or with a yellow padlock

then I would say NO.

never type credit card details unless on a secure site.

MAT ALAN 17:32 16 May 08

How we protect your personal information

Apple takes precautions — including administrative, technical, and physical measures — to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.

The Apple Online Store and iTunes Store use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption on all web pages where personal information is required. To make purchases from the Apple Online Store or iTunes Store, you must use an SSL-enabled browser such as Safari, Netscape Navigator 3.0 or later, or Internet Explorer. Doing so protects the confidentiality of your personal and credit card information while it’s transmitted over the Internet.

click here

text taken from link....

When you consider the millions of people that have signed up to itunes over the years, it is safe to say that whichever way Apple transmits your card details to themselves, it will be secure, otherwise we would be hearing a never ending list of horror stories.

eedcam 18:33 16 May 08

Or use their clickandbuy then it goes on your BT bill if you are with BT

big bloke66 19:34 16 May 08

I`ve been with i tunes quite a while now.They have my credit card details and i`ve had no problems.

Touch wood..:-)

brainstorm 11:56 17 May 08

I remain as cautious as Fruitbat as Mat Alan's advice refers to web sites, not this programme; [email protected] has a convincing argument, but that doesn't explain why most security advice I have read doesn't mention this issue; big bloke66 is more trusting than I will ever be; and eedcam offers a work around until I can get conclusive advice.

Many thanks all.

brainstorm 11:59 17 May 08

My lad may be able to redeem his voucher without opening an account, but will still need an account for future use, so I still need to conclude this oneway or another. I'll see if I can get more advice/clarity from PCA's security advisor.

DrATty 02:26 20 Jun 08

My children will just have to wait until they're old enough to have their own credit cards. My details aren't going to Apple in the foreseeable future.
I'm looking for an alternative to iTunes. I can't even download album art without giving payment details. It all seems a bit intrusive to me.

eedcam 10:56 20 Jun 08

Easiest way with Itunes is if you have BT then just click and buy and it goes on your telephone bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…