iTunes help

golfpro 05:46 13 Oct 09

In a few weeks I will be doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my laptop. This will I have read clear all existing files and programs from the computer. I am not too worried about this as I have most of the discs, but I have a lot of music which I purchased from iTunes. If I reinstall iTunes after the 7 install will they come back. But If these get deleted is there any way I can get them back, do iTunes keep a record of your purchases.

john bunyan 08:42 13 Oct 09

No, iTunes do not keep copies. In my case my existing desktop primary HD is partitioned into C: (all actual programmes - XP etc) and F: - basically all "My documents"), including iTunes and its libraries.(not the actual iTunes orogramme files). I also clone the disc to a slave disc, and make an image on an external HD with Acronis, plus keeping a copy of "My documents, including my music with i tunes) on the external HD. In your cas, if I were you, I would buy an external HD, and copy iTunes folder to it, then re import it when you have clean reinstalled Vista and i Tunes.As a back up you could burn the i tunes music folder including library folders to a data DVD

john bunyan 17:41 13 Oct 09

I strongly advise a back up of iTunes music whether on not you clean reinstall Windpws 7. Also in the meantime if , in i tunes, You go to Edit, Preferences, Devices I keep the box chcked "Do not auto synch" - because more than one iPod uses the library, but also, in a doomsday scenario, you can re lod the tunes from the i Pod back to the PC - you could do what you want this way but I still think a back up essential. Also in case there are temporarily no tunes, it could auto synch and find nothing and wipe the i Pod. I Tunes lets you register up to 5 PC's at a time, so you may just have to re register when you reinstall iTunes on the( apparently new) PC as it may appear when you reinstall.

golfpro 04:53 14 Oct 09

john bunyan.
Thanks what is the best way to back-up in itunes having never done this before. I have itunes just to play on my computer and for the Internet radio stations. I don't have an ipod as I am deaf in one ear and earphones are useless on me (I can only hear one side), I suppose I could buy one though.

I am Spartacus 08:05 14 Oct 09

To backup to CD/DVD choose File, Library, Back up to disc.

For a backup to a hard drive see click here

golfpro 08:23 14 Oct 09

Very helpful thank you.

john bunyan 00:05 15 Oct 09

I reccomend , ideally, the use of Acronis True Image for a full system back up on an external HD. An easy way to just back up your music, including iTunes is to copy your "My Misic" folder and paste it into the external HD.I also use internet radio stations and ,as well, Radiotracker 5, a very reasonably priced FM station finder / capture software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5