'iTunes Gift Certificate' email virus

slightlymad 12:06 26 May 10

I received an email today purporting to be from iTunes with the following message:

"Hello!

You have received an iTunes Gift Certificate in the amount of $50.00 You can find your certificate code in attachment below.

Then you need to open iTunes. Once you verify your account, $50.00 will be credited to your account, so you can start buying music, games, video right away.

iTunes Store."

The attachment was a zipped file containing an exe file named iTunes_certificate_247.exe.

I scanned the file with Nod32 but it came up clear. To be on the safe side I Googled for 'iTunes gift certificate virus' and there were plenty of results on the subject, including click here which, interestingly, says that 'At the time of writing, 15 of the 41 AV engines did detect the trojan.'

Just thought I'd issue a warning...
Edit/Delete Message

northumbria61 12:14 26 May 10

A good warning to others NOT quite so vigilant as you - NEVER open an email attachment you are suspicious of (not even out of curiosity) - even if your AV does show it to be clear.

anniesboy 12:35 26 May 10

See this on Hoax Slayer
click here

slightlymad 14:03 26 May 10

File submitted to Eset who have now updated Nod32. Threat now detected as:

Win 32 /Oficla .EU trojan

Let's hope other AVs follow suit.

Apparently the same trojan is also being sent out as "Gift_Certificate_231.zip".

In short, anything purporting to be a gift certificate from iTunes should be treated with suspicion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…