It's upgrade time! - best value ideas please

Andanotherthing 16:16 12 Dec 06

OK so now I have two PC games that won't run on my antequated PC with my measly 64m Prophet Graphics card and underpowered Athlon processor. What is the collective wisdom on the best motherboard / processor / graphics card bundle that will play Doom 3 say and still leave me something to buy the children a present or two at Christmas? If you can suggest suppliers as well that would be great!

keef66 17:06 12 Dec 06

Upgrading from there would be effectively replacing almost everything.

As you have already identified you'll need mobo / cpu / graphics card. The new mobo is unlikely to take your existing ram, so you'll need to budget for that too. Since you're buying both mobo and graphics card, you'd be mad not to go for PCI-express versions, and then you'll find you need to buy a new PCI-express compliant power supply too. New mobo will come with sata connectors so you might want a new HDD or two......etc etc

Novatech and the like do upgrade bundles, but with a pc as old as I think yours is, you'd be better off buying a new base unit.

If you want a bit of future proofing I'd look for Intel core 2 duo 6400 or better, a 7600GT graphics card or better and at least 1 GB ram

wjrt 17:25 12 Dec 06

click here
almost all the above

citadel 17:29 12 Dec 06

A new base unit would be the best buy as you need so much stuff.

Totally-braindead 18:15 12 Dec 06

If your monitor keyboard mouse and speakers are adequate then a new base unit would be my choice and Novatech would be my supplier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…