It's News to me

Pesala 13:57 02 May 03

I do not need a license to watch pre-recorded television programs. If I use the internet to watch live TV on streaming-video, apparently I need a license. If I only watch pre-recorded programs from the BBC's website, do I need a license? If so, why?

Gemma 17:06 02 May 03

Tune in and look here click here Confused? You will be.

Pesala 17:40 02 May 03

click here

"In conclusion, then, it appears that the actual use of a computer to watch television programmes delivered by the Internet, and originating within UK jurisdiction, requires a TV licence. There are some who believe that there is a difference between downloading and storing material, and watching it in real time by streaming. While there may be differences as regards intellectual property law, there does not appear to be a difference for licencing purposes."

I don't find it very confusing. This is the clearest indication I have yet found that watching TV programs by any method requires a license.

However, watching a recorded tape on a VCR does not require a license. So I am puzzled why watching a recorded video file downloaded from the Web would be any different.

Has anyone yet been prosecuted for watching TV in this way without a license? I would not like to be the victim for a test case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…