"this item is no longer located"

Alan-Petrie 22:14 15 Aug 10

Hi for the past few weeks now when I move files and folders about on the desktop (for example moving a folder from the desktop into a program files directory) I get an error message

"this item is no longer located in c:\users\alan\desktop verify the items location and try again" with the option to try again or cancel.

If I press try again the item will move as expected and function fully from its new folder, however the error message does slow things down abit and is fairly annoying. Any ideas what causes this?

Thanks Alan

Nontek 22:17 15 Aug 10

Only guessing, but probably the manner in which you are moving the files - i.e. drag-n-drop, copy-n-paste etc. Try a different method of moving.

Alan-Petrie 22:26 15 Aug 10

ive tried both, however interestingly if I extract a zip archive with winrar from the desktop to a folder I dont get any messages.

Nontek 22:34 15 Aug 10

Have you tried - right-click and then either 'send to' or 'move to' ....

woodchip 22:53 15 Aug 10

When you move or delete things, the Registry should change the location, it may not be working as it should

Alan-Petrie 23:24 15 Aug 10

ahh the registry never thought of that, however having just deleted my ccleaner backup is there another way to solve that problem?

I dont think there is a move to function on 7 unlike xp without a registry hack, sorry I should have said I was using 7

ashdav 01:10 16 Aug 10

Simple answer,don't keep folders on the desktop.
Keep them in My Documents.
Having large files/folders on the desktop will slow the computer down.
The desktop is always active ie. in memory so large items there will hog resources.

Alan-Petrie 16:29 16 Aug 10

I normally only keep the most used stuff on the desktop however i decided to tidy up a bit. However now I am gettin the error in all folders from program files to user and its sub folders.

Nontek 16:30 16 Aug 10

Try running Ccleaner in default mode.

Alan-Petrie 16:42 16 Aug 10

ran ccleaner 2gb of files removed most from the recycle bin still no good.

will run registry fix

Alan-Petrie 21:09 17 Aug 10

fixed the registry still no luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…