Is it worth watercooling my PC?

BlueFox 09:53 25 Mar 04

I am getting increasingly annoyed at the noise level of my PC. The thing sounds like it's about to take off!!!! I have done all the usual things and bought a silent PSU and a Zalman flower cooler for my CPU. Unless I add three case fans, which are extremely noisy, I can't control the temeratures to an acceptable level.

If I took the plunge and installed a water cooling solution, could I get rid of ALL my fans completely (except for the radiator fan of course).

If so, what is the best water cooling kit available? Will it fit in my case? And will it fit on my NB as I've heard that the waterchill needs a mobo mod to make it fit which I am uncomfortable doing?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

My rig has:

Intel P4 3Ghz
MSI 975P Neo Mobo
1 Gig PC3200
120Gb SATA150
Samsung DVD
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis 128Mb
Creative Audigy 2 Platinum EX
Creative 6700 6.1 speakers
Samsung 172T 17" Flatscreen
Eagle 5605 Aluminium case

Sir Radfordin 10:00 25 Mar 04

You must have either very sensitive hearing or something wrong with the PC. I've not changed a thing on my AMD PC and I can cope just fine with the noise. Are you getting vibrations from something - is the PC on a hard surface? Try putting it on rubber feet (car mats have been suggested)

Water cooling is an option but not without cost and risk in high levels.

gold 47 10:06 25 Mar 04

Why so many fans i have only two and never had a problem.
I do what i call a clead out every three months IE
clean the CPU heatsink you would be amazed at the dust that come out also clean the two fans.

medicine hat 10:35 25 Mar 04

Are the fans working together or against each other? What I mean is you should have an intake fan at the bottom of the case. As hot air rises, this will then travel up over the video card and cpu heat sink to the extractor fan at the top. If the fans are the wrong way around, they will not work efficiently leading to a build up of heat inside your case.

Have you tried some quieter fans? These guys tell you their noise levels click here

You can also get special quiet cases such as the Antec Sonata click here

edstowe 11:01 25 Mar 04

I have ten quite fast, high powered machines in my studio. The sound is a quite acceptable low level hum.

I think there must be something wrong with your setup somewhere.

daba 13:16 25 Mar 04

I personally wouldn't put water anywhere near my PC. It doesn't bear thinking about a leak........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…