Is it worth upgrading current system?

My pc is 5 yrs old and has served me well. It runs W98SE, has 128mb ram and a 600 something or other intel processor. My daughter has just bought an Ipod, and it requires Windows XP or Win2000 and either a firewire or USB 2.0. I have been working on the basis of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but am now wondering if I ought to update my operating system, ram and USB ports. Is it worth it on a pc this old or is it less hassle in the long run to start from scratch with a new pc which has all the latest bells and whistles? I'm not really sure how long pcs are supposed to last - I've heard of hard drives dying after a few years. I'd have to pay a professional to do any upgrading. Advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 16:22 24 Aug 05

Did you buy the PC new? It seems somewhat older than 5 years!

Anyway, if it does what you want, keep it. But it seems that the time has come when it no longer will do what you want so maybe it will be time to go for something new.

You can update to Win2k but the expense will make it not worth while.

Take a look at the site below for some good deals on Dell machines.

You can get a basic machine for about £300 or so. Windows 2000 and a few other upgrades would get you near to that.

What else would you like to do with the PC?

For what it's worth, it is possible to use iPods with Win98 if you fancy playing around a bit with it.

click here
HotUKDeals :: Promotional codes, discount codes and forums :: UK deals, discount codes, vouchers, bargains and forum

Diodorus Siculus 16:42 24 Aug 05

Dell 3000 with Free Printer 17in Monitor £283 Inc VAT/Delivery :: HotUKDeals :: Promotional codes, discount codes and forums :: UK deals, discount codes, vouchers, bargains and forum
click here

wobblymike 22:18 24 Aug 05

Time Lord
If your PC has a 600 MHZ processor, while not cutting edge it is fast enough to run Win XP - I have upgradded numerous machines with processors down to 400 MHZ which work well enough albeit with some limitations on applications. It really depends what you want to do with it; as regards upgrading have a go yourself, plenty of us on this forum only too happy to guide you along. All you will really need is another stick of RAM to make it up to 256, possibly a bigger hard drive and possibly a USB expansion card and of course a copy of XP. None of that requires the skills of Einstein and is well within the compass of even the rawest novice given a bit of guidance which is what this forum is all about.

Babou 23:23 24 Aug 05

If you want to hassle-free then a new system is best. I recently helped a friend buy a new computer after his Win98 machine bit the dust, and he's very happy with the change. (He went from "I really hate computers" to "I like this machine VERY MUCH" overnight - and it was a cheapo basic one, nothing fancy!) Yes, XP might run on your old machine but it'll sprint on a new one. Also, you might find it difficult to source new components that will be compatible with your old motherboard.

Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to reply. It's good to have different opinions and options.
The HotUKDeals site mentioned above is definitely worth a visit - not just pcs, but all sorts.
Cheers
Time Lord

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…