Is it worth upgrading

Seadog 21:54 12 Apr 09

I have a wireless network set up primarily for internet access in our house, two pc's and also two occasional laptops, all running wirelessly. None are directly connected to the router.
I have cable broadband (20meg) and when we run speed tests we get 8800 kbps which I understand is about right for the wireless system.
All is running ok but would it be better/faster and improve downloads and connection speeds etc. if I upgraded to the new wireless 'n' band?
Router is an old Belkin F5D7230-4 and we use a variety of usb adapters on the pc's (Belkin, TP link and such)
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Strawballs 22:19 12 Apr 09

The n standard would give you better range but the the G is 56meg and you have a 20meg conection so unless you do a lot of file swapping across your network and you are happy with the range of the network then I would not bother.

Tech Guy 19:46 13 Apr 09

YES you would see an increase in speed and less reduced speed further from router (e.g. near wired speed around the whole house). Esp an increase when two or more machines are working at once.

Just because the wireless is 54Mbps and the BB connection is 20Mbps - does not mean it is faster. Very common mistake to make :)

This is because of the way wireless works, (using Collision Avoidance, Half-Duplex and of course encryption. I won't bore you will the tech but N is certainly much much faster than G. Maybe I would not bother for 1 or poss 2 computers - but for 4 certainly I would.

The need for bandwidth in the home is growing and growing, as T.V streaming and online gaming become very popular.

Maybe buy the router and 1 adapter. Sell your old equipment to fund the rest of the adapters.

Seadog 21:01 13 Apr 09

Thanks very much Tech Guy, I'll give it some serious thought. Maybe buy a router and one adapter first and then go from there, the only problem is that as far as I know, both laptops are only equipped with wireless'g'. Then again they are only used rarely in anger on the net.

Seadog 22:21 13 Apr 09

One more thing if Tech Guy (anyone) is still reading this thread, I presume that 'n' is fully backwardly compatible with 'g' and that I'll be able to run the two types on one network.
Also that if I do/can run the two types simultaneously the speed of the 'n' units will not be slowed to the 'g' standard. What I mean is that if I get an 'n' router and one 'n' adapter to start with, the computer with the 'n' adapter will run at the higher speed and the laptop or computer with the 'b' adapter will run at the 'b' speed.
Bearing in mind we are only talking of internet access here via the cable modem and not data transfer between computers.
Am I correct?

Tech Guy 02:17 14 Apr 09

A N router can run at G but as N is ran on the 5GHZ frequency and G is ran on the 2.4Ghz, you have to use N OR G I'm afraid, CANNOT mix and match standards.

For the laptops you would have to buy N PCMCIA network adapter cards(you can use USB but would not recommend for laptops as too fragile/easy falls out when on knee)

Even if you transfer files they would go from the coputer then goto the router then to the other computer at fantasic N wireless speed, as computer to computer is a different setup.

As you can tell I'm a big fan of N ;)

SouthernComfort 17:35 15 Apr 09

A regards normal browsing I don't think you would see much improvement. Higher LAN speeds don't speed up broadband unless they are the bottleneck.

With 20 Mbs Cable (like me) when your broadband is "on song" then you may get some improvement but I doubt it be sufficient to justify the change.Unless you want high speed LAN transfers.
You would get more improvement with wired connections so I assume you have practical reasons for Wireless all round.
Bob

Tech Guy 18:55 15 Apr 09

The wireless 54 Mbps LAN IS the bottleneck ( they are even slower than the old hubs ) esp when 4 computers uses internet at once.

Personaly I avoid wireless when I can, esp for online gaming, wheather it be PC or games console.

I can use my laptop in the garage at wired speed and it's around 40-50 meters from my N access point.

If you can spare the cash then go for it, well worth it.

Seadog 22:35 15 Apr 09

My son has just come back tonight with an 'n' Belkin router and two 'n' usb wireless adapters!
However, this will be ok for the main two computers but what about others such as the laptops?
My next question is - can I plug the old router's output, i.e. the wan cat 5/network cable isn't it? (the one I would normally plug into the cable modem from the router) into one of the new 'n' router's inputs? In this way I could have the 'g' router supposedly feeding into the 'n' router and this then connected to the cable modem. This would give me a wireless 'g' network and a wireless 'n' network connected to the cable modem. Or wouldn't it?
Your comments would be appreciated..............

Seadog 08:05 16 Apr 09

The above 'solution' would then mean that I have internet access at a high speed ( n ) for the main computers and at the slower speed for the others until I can sort out (read - afford to buy) other wireless n adapters for the other computers.

As long as it will work!

I'll have a go as soon as I get time, probably this weekend.

Tech Guy 10:22 16 Apr 09

Good idea :)

Yes it should work, but I've never done it - but I'm sure someone here has.

Setup the N network and make sure thats running perfect before trying to setup the G network.

The old router would be used as an AP, so should work fine.

Keep us posted ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…