Is it worth upgrading to 1.5gb RAM?

J R Best 09:57 26 Feb 06

I currently have 1gb ram (2x 512) and i was wondering will it be that noticable if i spend extra (to replace the suspected faulty one, weird errors etc) with a 1gb stick. thanks

rmcqua 10:14 26 Feb 06

Well, if you really suspect that one of your RAM modules is faulty, yes it's worth it, considering the cost of RAM these days. Whether you will notice a difference going from 1Gb to 1.5Gb depends on what you use your PC for. Probably not, I would say.

jakimo 11:17 26 Feb 06

Why not run a memory diagnostic test,before buying a replacement

click here

Batch 14:35 26 Feb 06

If you currently have 2 x 512 and you suspect one of them is faulty, have you tried reseating them or switching them round as bad contacts are the cause of so many problems.

For example, just the other day, one of my boxes wouldn't boot properly and seemed not recognise the video card's capabilities. I just pulled all of the plugin boards (e.g. memory, video, modem, NIC etc.) / cables (e.g. HDD power and signal)out (in turn so as not to get confused as to what goes where) and hey presto, back to normal. If you are going to do this, don't forget to equalise your potential with the PC first (i.e. wear a wrist strap or discharge yourself via the chasis).

WRT to going to 1.5GB, are you running anything that warrants so much memory.

A simple check is to start up Task Manager and monitor the amount of free memory (if any) and paging whilst you are doing your normal activities.

J R Best 15:18 26 Feb 06

yes, i have checked it. The memory runs fine in normal use (mostly- sometimes the pc jams for no reason), but it gets very noticable when playing games for over half an hour. Weird errors come up, and occasionally the blue screen of death. Not sure about the 1.5gb of memory then, i play quite a lot of games, and use photoshop quite a lot, other than its just used for normal internet use etc

Batch 15:22 26 Feb 06

Is it possible the PC overheating under intensive use, thus causing the problems? Are all your fans working?

jakimo 15:30 26 Feb 06

your last post does suggest overheating,plenty of software about to check the temperatures

rmcqua 15:32 26 Feb 06

OK jakimo, you might just notice a difference going from 1Gb to 1.5Gb when gaming and maybe in photoshop. Don't expect anything too dramatic though !

Gongoozler 15:55 26 Feb 06

To monitor temperatures and voltages I recommend MBM5 click here

J R Best 17:57 26 Feb 06

I have everest and my p4 doesn't seem to go over 50 degrees when playing games. I had suspected over heating so reapplied some better quality thermal paste to the cpu which brought the temp right down. Pc does run a little hot though. There is only one space for a system fan, and i have one in place (rubbishy Advent case, looks nice though...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…