is it worth having xp pro sp2

andyfrog 15:33 25 Dec 07

hi,i have xp pro on comp with only sp1 on.people have told me if you want to file share,(p2p) sp2 limits the amount of connections you can have.anyone know if this is true and do i really need sp2.

Grantrh 15:37 25 Dec 07

I don't know if the number of connections is true or not but you can't install internet explorer 7 or windows media player 11 without it. And I imagine its going to be the same for more software in the future.
What have you got to lose? - its free!
Also sp3 will be out in the new year!
Merry Xmas.

Stuartli 19:01 25 Dec 07

SP3 is already out in RC1 form - had no problems since installing it.

You should have SP2 installed plus all the updates which followed over the years.

This could be achieved using AutoPatcher but Microsoft, in its wisdom, decided to call a halt to its existence.

This is the final monthly version of AutoPatcher:

click here

After that you will have to let WindowsUpdate download those which followed.

Devil Fish 19:42 25 Dec 07

i use torrents quite frequently to download open source software and like Stuartli am currently on SP3 RC1 which has not affected utorrent one bit

i would advise patching up to date as many of them are security related

andyfrog 20:10 25 Dec 07

cheers,i can get sp2 on disc off my mate but could i not just put sp3 on to bring me up to date.

mrwoowoo 20:14 25 Dec 07

Windows XP SP2 limits half-open connections (SYN) to a maximum of 10 (actually it's ten a second)(the previous limit was over 65,000). This is supposed to slow down certain viruses because their spreading strategy is to try to connect to a high amount of random IP numbers.
It can affect some p2p as they try to open multiple connections at once.
I use p2p and torrents whilst having xp sp2 and have no trouble at all with azureus.

andyfrog 20:28 25 Dec 07

i have used azureus before and if the one i use now(bitcomet),struggles i will go back to that instead.i wonder how long it will be before they stop updates for xp and push you towards vista.

Stuartli 20:35 25 Dec 07

>>but could i not just put sp3 on to bring me up to date.>>

No.

andyfrog 21:12 25 Dec 07

am putting sp2 on now,cheers guys for your input.

Stuartli 23:23 25 Dec 07

XP will be continued to be supported for longer than Microsoft originally intended - quite a few who moved over to Vista have been keen to go back and some people are ordering new systems with XP rather than the new OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos