IT works or HP PCs

maddos 20:57 28 Jan 05

Has any reader got info on either of the above PCs
ie- any good.

Totally-braindead 22:19 28 Jan 05

Personally never heard of IT Works, HP are ok I suppose but theres better value PCs out there just look at the PCA charts for example. I don't really like PCs made by the likes of HP because of the problems you can have if you wish to upgrade them, mind you I'm talking about the older ones, perhaps the new ones are a different kettle of fish. I'm sure someone on the Forum will have recent experience of HP PCs.

maddos 05:29 29 Jan 05

Thanks, Totally-braindead.I never heard of "IT works" either, until I noticed Comet have them. At least I know I'm not the only one that hasn't heard of them.

jack 08:26 29 Jan 05

It all depends on your personal needs I guess, and how you are going to use the machine.
All machines from what ever source can and will give grief- its the nature of computing- lots of bits made by diverse manufacturers cobbled to-gether.

If the indended use is applications only and you have no intention or interest in what goes on in the box - the world is your oyster.

If you are in 'danger' of becoming a icker'n'poker
and like to unscrew things then 'big Name' machines are best avoided because the manufacturers of these system can and do strange things to the machines they pffer - in the way of setup - component configuration etc so that- as TBD says they become 'poke' proof - just like todays motor cars.

Sir Radfordin 09:02 29 Jan 05

The HP PCs I've used recently just don't feel or look as solid as the Dell range. They also seem to cost more for less. They are however a big name brand (which you may pay a premium for) who do make reliable PCs so you could do worse than buy from them. My view however is you could fairly easily get a better deal. There is nothing "special" about HP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 29 Jan 05

We use HP at work both desktop and laptop and due to the number of problems personally I would not buy one for myself.

However they are a large brand name and would not have stayed in business if they did not work to a reasonable standard.

In computing there are many different manufacturers and very little difference in quality between them as most are made by the same few people but are "rebadged". It may be better to look at the quality of theafter sales service before you decide who to buy from.

maddos 20:07 29 Jan 05

Many thanks to all. AS usual very informative.I think I will stick with my old diesel run machine for now.

wee eddie 20:54 29 Jan 05

Deciding what new PC to buy.

Do not restrict yourself to such mundane fare.

Start looking at Mesh and Evesham, but hunt around a bit. The stuff made by Dell and IBM to go on a Senior Exec's Desk looks wonderful.

OK! So maybe they'll have to loose a couple of Cleaning Staff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…