Is it worh upgrading an old 2000 pc to run xp?

theDarkness 11:47 15 Jun 06

I'm not joking! :D At the moment it only has its default 32mb (!) of ram it came with, and the owner only wants to be able to use the pc with xp to run the latest Microsoft Office for a home learning course. I'm sure other versions of Office probably do not differ too much, but essentially with this course you are paying for the Office disc, and it would be awkward using an older version looking for all the correct ways to do certain tasks in Office 98 (I think this is what is in the pc at the moment). I think they need 64mb or more of ram to install xp. The machine only has a 5Gb hard drive. I am not sure on the processor speed, but the system itself was brought brand new in 2000.

On a machine bought in this period, does anyone know what (generally) the maximum possible ram upgrade would be possible, and price? I'll need to find out what type of memory the system uses of course before installing. Or if replacing the 4gb hard drive with an 80gb is possible on such an old machine?

Im sure many will probably just tell me that this is all a waste of time and I could find a much faster machine second hand to run xp and offioe, but the owner does not have the momey at the moment, and this machine they have at the moment has windows millenium edition installed, and its not THAT slow. lol! It's just awkward that the latest Office does not install and demands xp. I thought it might be possible it could all work with xp and latest Office running if I upgraded the ram and hd, but im just not sure on cost and ram/hd upgradeability for a system this old?

Any info from anyone would be great.. :O

mattyc_92 11:53 15 Jun 06

The system *should* be able to run XP as I have installed XP on a computer with 16MB RAM and a 200MHz processor. It took a best part of 7 hours to install, and about 5 minutes to load (boot), but it did take it.

I would personally upgrade the computer to, at least, 128MB RAM, 10GB Hard-disc and a processor that is, at least, 600MHz!!

Simsy 11:58 15 Jun 06

in it's original form, (because the motherboard has been replaced after going faulty), I bought my PC new in Spring 2000. It was a Pentium 3, 550 Mhz. I was able to up the RAM to 512 without problem, and install 80 gig HDD no problem.

It depends on the motherboard, but I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem for anothe PC of that vintage.

You will need more RAM than 32, that's for sure, and several Gig of HDD space to install XP and the applications.

There isn't a version of Office "98", (except, I think, for MACS), it goes 95,97,2000 then XP

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

theDarkness 12:04 15 Jun 06

7 hrs? bl**dy hell lol! Doesn't sound like it may be worth it.. I think this pc could well have a 500mhz or more processor speed if its made in 2000? I think it was from PC World :( I'll have to check and get back on cpu.

I imagine that if I did install xp, I would be able to replace the hd to any size? I'm not sure on ram cost, any idea on how much for 128mb? If I could install more however I probably would. I think one of the main ways to speed this system up would probably be a faster hd, you can hear this one clunking along a little when searching for anything or doing specific tasks.

mattyc_92 12:06 15 Jun 06

a 512MB chip is around £30, so I would guess that you are looking at around £10, but you will probably have to buy it second hand as I don't really see 128 chips anymore

As for the noisy HD, sounds like it's dieing

theDarkness 12:16 15 Jun 06

Id probably go with 512 if it didnt preesent any major problems. Assuming I also installed xp + 80gb hd (discarding the 4gb) I would hope a 500mhz pc would be able to run the latest Office reasonably well? Or do you think its a bit hit n' miss? :(

I dont want to pay for a ram and hd upgrade (ok its not that much ££ lol) and then to find out i wouldve been best in just getting a new board and cpu as the user is having problems in running Office?
However, I was thinking of doing the hd and ram upgrade for them to run xp and new office if you think it will work, and mayb they could think about a new board/cpu in the future?

keef66 12:20 15 Jun 06

get the mobo details first and put them into Crucial's memory advisor. You'll soon find out what it needs, how much it will take and the cost. You could find that for an older mobo it's more expensive that you thought.
I acquired a socket A 900 mhz pc with just 128 mb ram, but I haven't upgraded it because of the cost. In contrast my socket A Athlon XP just got another 512 mb for just over £30.

mattyc_92 12:20 15 Jun 06

It is a "50,50" one this...

It MAY work perfectly, or may lagg a hell of a lot...

You can't really tell, until you actually try it

stlucia 12:29 15 Jun 06

My 2000 PC is working perfectly with Win XP, and will handle Office no problem. It's using it's original 600Mhz Athlon processor, and has been upgraded to 256Mb RAM and several 40Gb and upwards HDDs.

Like others have said, check your motherboard spec., and your BIOS, and you'll be able to find what memory and what HDD size you can install.

Woolwell 12:34 15 Jun 06

You are going to have to pay for the XP Upgrade, for the RAM and for the HD. I suspect that you can buy a second hand computer already running XP and with enough RAM for less.
Look in your local paper's classifieds.

keef66 12:48 15 Jun 06

just been back and checked;

£32 for 512MB 184 pin 2.5v DDR SDRAM for the newer pc;

£58 for 512MB 168 pin 3.3v SDRAM for the older one.

As Woolwell suggests, save a lot of hassle and uncertainty. Buy a base unit with XP from Morgan or similar. You can hook up the old HDD as a slave to retrieve any files they still need

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…