Is it a virus or a hardware fault, the Blue screen

User-324448 18:29 10 Dec 03

I have a pal who cannot search these pages or any others because when he tries, after a very short time the blue screen comes up with the notice saying a "fatal exception has occured and it will be shut down, the numbers 0028:C29c1 dab are shown.
He has run his version of AVG and it stated No virus found so he removed this and installed a new anti virus Prog. called "Panda" this to states no virus's
Could we have your thoughts on possible problem and cure please.
I may be back to ask about a certain virus I found on my old pals system and have been able to remove only half of it, but Im having another go on Thurs. Thanks everyone Prof.

User-324448 18:33 10 Dec 03

sorry didnt mention the operating system is windows 98 Prof. a nickname due to my philosophy not wisdom

johnnyrocker 18:59 10 Dec 03

i take it we are talking about win me? if so and the problem is recent try a system restore to before probs occurred. would help if os is supplied when raising queries.

johnny.

PUNKA 20:24 10 Dec 03

if message on screen is titled "unmountable boot volume"then your friend has the blaster virus go to microsoft;s downloads page using your m/c and download patch to disk and apply to your pals m/c worked for me.good luck

kesser 21:01 10 Dec 03

Could be a number of things I reckon but would say it's not a virus - btw Panda is terrible - doesn't pick up half known viruses in my exp. Try re-installing operating system 1st and work from there - could be a hw prob

plsndrs3 21:09 10 Dec 03

Don't understnd much about what the true problem here is. However, Microsoft recognise the fault code 028 here click here but nothing about c29c1 dab.

Maybe if you look at the relevant page something will strike home?

Regards,

Paul

VoG II 21:14 10 Dec 03

Blaster does not affect Windows 98 or ME systems. It exploits a vulnerability in W2K and XP, and simply crashes NT4.

kesser 22:07 10 Dec 03

what are the specs on this machine?

Jester2K II 22:11 10 Dec 03

Download and install Adaware click here and Spybot click here

Update them and then reboot into Safe Mode and scan with each in turn. This will make sure he has no Adware / SpyBot progs or plugins causing problems.

Post back...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…