Is it Tiscali?

shellship 17:59 15 Dec 04

My ISP is Tiscali. Almost every day when accessing email (with both OE and Outlook, makes no difference) downloading stops and I get the following message:

“Task 'Brian McConnell - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: ? '”

When I go into my inbox on the Tiscali website I find one or messages with no subject and no content. When I go to “Properties” I find something along the lines of:

[email protected]&seq=C&auth=VSSEK20FRCIURYDO" title="[email protected]&seq=C&auth=VSSEK20FRCIURYDO" TARGET="_new">click here

or, more often:

click here

The numbers and letters differ from time to time.

I delete the message in my box on the Tiscali website and all is well until the next time I wish to check my mail and the same thing occurs.

Does this mean anything to anyone out there, please.

Gongoozler 18:08 15 Dec 04

This is what Tiscali have to say about this error click here

Dorsai 18:32 15 Dec 04

I keep getting errors With tiscali e-mail at the moment, and i use Thunderbird, not Outlook.

I had heard from other threads here that it was a problem caused by Norton Anti-Virus scanning E-mails, so turned this feature off, and so far, it still happens.

I dont find the blank e-mail, but do get 'folder being processed' or 'unable to connect'. so wonder if it is a Tiscali problem. It only started about 1 week ago. Before that, it had worked for about 8 weeks (when i got Thunderbird) faultlessly.

seedie 19:50 15 Dec 04

I use Breathe which is a VISP and mail goes through tiscali and i find most days SMTP fails for one or way or another. I don't send many O/G mails so is not much of a problem but i think their attitude in denying they have a problem is a bit odorous. thinking of getting another ISP.

shellship 12:28 16 Dec 04

Thanks Gongoosler but I've bin there dun that. The fault seems to lie with the blank messages that arrive in my inbox on the Tiscali mailbox. If I look up "MessageSent" on the Internet I get some pretty high-powered programming stuff that doesn't help me at all.

shellship 12:32 16 Dec 04

I've just noted that "Click Here" came into my original message - I did not put it there - and it leads you to my mail box in Tiscali. The text that should have been there was

"click here"

How that turned into access to my mailbox is beyond me.

Stuartli 14:21 16 Dec 04

Tiscali is one of my two ISPs - I send and download e-mails using Thunderbird with no problems.

If the problem is with your system you cannot expect Tiscali to accept the blame - the link to its website that you have provided makes it clear that it is an external influence via one (or more) of several possible forms.

It seems as though you should also run thorough anti-virus and adware scans (Ad-aware SE, Search and Destroy 1.3 or whatever you use) and see what comes up.

phil.smith 15:10 16 Dec 04

Do you have Norton AV running? I recently had similar with Tesco and this was caused by a Common Client core update from Norton AV

I had to turn off virus scan of incoming and outgoing mail first, send an email and then turn on the virus scanning However it actually needed the update to the update from Norton (if you see what I mean) before I got rid of the message totally

Hope this might help

Totally-braindead 15:17 16 Dec 04

I'm with Tiscali BB and use internet explorer and outlook, I also have SP2 and Norton Antivirus and have no problems at all. Its been a while since I installed it but I do remember that there was a help page if you wanted to use outlook express rather than Tiscalis email which is set by default. Set it up as per instructions and alls been well, I'll go try to find the link to it and post back.

Totally-braindead 15:19 16 Dec 04

Here it is, hope it helps click here

shellship 22:19 28 Dec 04

Have installed Ad-Aware and cleaned out 64 Data Miners and a few other nefarious things. Re-booted, waited a while, tried to Send & Receive, got the error message, went to my Tiscali Inbox, guess what, there was the dreaded email with no subject, no content. So, once again I ask is it a Tiscali thing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…