Is it time for a HDD Format??

AngeTheHippy 11:17 24 Sep 04

Hi Chaps,
Niggly little thing seem to be, the PC freezes when I've been away from it (leaving it online)come back to find screen saver frozen and can't get out of it unless I power down completely; Icons disappearing for a few seconds when say, closing a browser or ending an app; could be surfing and again, everything freezes for a few moments before returning... Getting on my nerves really. Should I reformat at this point do ya think? HDD is 120Gb, with only 11.7Gb used. I've been using VJ16 PowerTools, a registry cleaner which I like lots.

Diodorus Siculus 12:05 24 Sep 04

It all depends on what you have on the disk and how comfortable you are with a reformat / reinstall.

Do you have all the relevant drivers for your hardware?

Have you a good backup routine?

Remember to save all relevant data, including bookmarks and address book.

stlucia 12:40 24 Sep 04

I'm not sure why you should be thinking of something so drastic as a reformat: My first reaction would be that you're running out of HDD space, but you've answered that one.

There seem to be two separate problems -- the freezing screen saver, and the momentary periods of inactivity (OK, they may be related). Have you tried switching off the screen saver function to see if your still PC freezes after a period of inactivity? Have you run scandisc and defrag?

stlucia 12:42 24 Sep 04

Sorry, "... your PC still freezes ..."

Mr A! 13:03 24 Sep 04

was due to not enough memory and over 95% CPU usage. Review how much memory you have and which programs are hogging the CPU power!

AngeTheHippy 13:41 24 Sep 04

I have 512 ram on this PC. The only apps I have running are: FireFox browser, Thunderbird e-mail client, NAV. This is mostly all I have running at any one time. When I cont/alt/delete however, there are a number of processes running - the obvious ones that seem to be using a lot of mem are: FireFox.exe:32,208k, Thunderbird.exe:10,664k, Explorer.exe:13,788, there are 5 >svchost.exe<', the largest using 21,416k, then a numbers of others, some 6k's, others 2k's etc. I'm never quite sure what to close down on task manager processes, so don't touch them.

Does this give any clues?

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 24 Sep 04

click here for a list of services that run witn XP.

Try also the system file checker

sfc /scannow

You need XP CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…