It takes forever to open a file

Dazwm 18:12 08 Jan 04

For some reason all of a sudden it takes a long time to open any word or excel documents (it says scanning for viruses bottom left hand corner). Why is this and how do I rectify it.

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 18:17 08 Jan 04

Have you installed Norton - or made any changes to it? Norton has MS plugins which can be disabled somewhere in its option.

Dazwm 18:23 08 Jan 04

No, I have had Norton running for sometime and everythings been ok.

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 08 Jan 04

Did you check to see if the Norton / MS integration is switched on? If it is, disable it and see what happens.

Dazwm 18:32 08 Jan 04

How do I do that?

Infamous 18:42 08 Jan 04

i have the exacly the same problem, it happend when i updated nortons 2003, it is becoming very annoying

Dazwm 18:57 08 Jan 04

Yeah, but I've been using Norton for ages with no problem and this just started yesterday.

Infamous 18:59 08 Jan 04

so have i been using it for a long time, but i did a recent update since then it taken for ever to load any office application.

luckylittler 19:23 08 Jan 04

Just posted the same problem - Done what Diodorus Siculus suggested - i.e disable the MS plugin protector under 'Misc' in Norton configuration and the programs are now running as normal.

Dazwm 19:28 08 Jan 04

luckylittler

Where do I find it, can you run me through it.

luckylittler 19:44 08 Jan 04

Open up NAV - Click on 'OPTIONS' - then on 'Miscellaneous' in the left hand column. In the Misc column - 2nd row down, 'How to keep Microsoft documents protected' un-check the ticked box and finish. You will find your progs will run at the correct speed. I think this has been caused by an 'Live Update' session so if it happens again we know what to do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…