Is it safe to run PC from hard disk option?

Clearquartz 22:55 10 May 14

I can't run my computer normally, iv'e tried formatting it etc.

Each time i start it up normally, it says something like "Failed to load hard disk" "please insert system disk and press enter"

so, i basically pressed ESC for the boot menu, and saw an option under "Hard disk" actually, two options, but i picked the "chm2:excel technology"-something along those lines, and clicked enter, and it loaded up my PC fine, with no errors etc.

Is this safe to actually do? Is it safe for the computer? Personal Details? Say if i went on ebay, bank details, and a Diarys and pictures? Everytime i want to use the PC i will have to click ESC and select this option, otherwise it won't get me to the actual PC screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:08 10 May 14

Yes its safe

You need to check your BIOS (setup) settings and make sure First boot device is set as your Hard drive.

Clearquartz 23:17 10 May 14

I have checked the BIOS, and clicked "hard drive" but it still says the same message at startup.

To run my computer, i need to keep on clicking ESC and choose the Chm 2 option thing underneath where it says "hard disk" and it boots up.

Im more worried about someone finding personal stuff ..

mole1944 06:30 11 May 14

You don't say if is it is a desktop,have you tried a different hard drive,or remove the bios battery,even reset the bios to factory settings. Finally odd as it sounds have you switch of the machine and checked all the cables are correctly located,sounds silly but they do come loose occasionally.

Jollyjohn 09:18 11 May 14

Do you have 2 hard drives? It could be trying to boot from the wrong one.

alanrwood 10:54 11 May 14

Sounds very much as Jollyjohn has it right. Your BIOS is set to boot from the wrong Hard Drive. Go into the BIOS and set the hard disk priority. There is usually a different setting to choose which of the Hard Drives is the boot one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…