Is it Safe to remove DOS / WS. Soundcard drivers?

I have just removed my soundblaster card as I needed a slot for a new pinnacle firewire card.I reconnected the lead (originally to the slot next to the SB card) to the CD Line In slot next to the onboard sound card. My Tv works fine and so do Audio CDs through Windows player.I uninstalled SB but left behind "DOS Drivers" and "Windows Drivers". My Pc searches for SB on boot up and obviously reports failure.When I open the Pinnacle software I get the message, "Pin. Studio cannot initialise audio playback. The audio subsystem may be in use by another program".
I have also lost my window sounds (such as on mail arriving, shutting down etc).Should I remove the SB Dos and Windows drivers? There are the usual dire warnings about other progs. using them when you look at removing them. Anybody any ideas on this problem?

Gongoozler 10:03 17 Mar 03

Debe, you don't say what version of Windows you have, but in Windows 98 I would try to remove the drivers via Device Manager.

hgrock 10:03 17 Mar 03

if you remove your sound card you would not get sound no matter where you plug the lead into, you need the soundcard for sound

hgrock I did have sound because I had an onboard soundcard as well as the SB one in the slot (which was the one I removed). I have just spent 30 mins on the phone to Evesham and they have sorted it out for me by taking me into the BIOs set up and enabling the onboard sound card.
I have uninstalled Pinnacle and will have another shot at re-installing later in the week . Hopefully the sound prob. might go away if the software is installed now with the OB sound card properly configured!
Gongoozler thanks for the advice it is W98 and I did need to take all the drivers out!
thanks to you both-panic over for now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…