Is it safe to remove AOL?

JustinJSY 18:02 31 Oct 03

Now that I am into the 21st century of Broadband, I'd like to remove my AOL software. The reason for this is that it keeps popping up for no obvious reason.

I would just uninstall it, but it says 'please do NOT delete'.

I fear I will have problems accessing the internet if I remove it, even though I no longer use AOL.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Djohn 18:12 31 Oct 03

Go into control panel and highlight AOL and click on remove. This will remove the program for you. There are entries in your registry, but you do not need to worry about these.

The removal will not affect your internet connection with your other ISP. The warning is to inform you that you will not be able to connect to the www through AOL. J.

SGT BARNES 18:14 31 Oct 03

getting rid of AOHELL software is probably the best thing you can do for your pc.

getting rid of it is another matter because AOL software installs itself everywhere , to be honest i've had virus's that were less intrusive.

if you really want to get rid then i'd suggest a format , other people may not agree.

i wont even let an AOL cd in the house for fear it might install itself while alseep.

Djohn 18:23 31 Oct 03

Just remove as above. You will be fine. If you have any problems, then there are many AOL members in the forum to help you.

I use and Have 6 versions of AOL on my PC 4 of them under test, I have no problems with conflicts, or the removal of any one version to up-date to another. Regards. j.

JustinJSY 20:09 18 Nov 03

Thank you for your help. I have now successfully uninstalled AOL and my pc is feeling a lot better for it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…