is it safe to leave comp running all night

sype 21:52 15 Mar 06

Im running the bbc climate change experiment which is going to take a very long time. so i was wondering if it was safe to leave my computer running all night?

Harpur 21:56 15 Mar 06

yeah it's ok but the weather watch isn't very planet energy kind. think of all that lecky being consumed!!

FatboySlim71 21:58 15 Mar 06

Yes I have left my PC running many a time of a night and gone to bed, say for instance to scan for virus's, and no harm has come to the PC. You have got to remember PC's in an office are on 8 hours a day, so PC's will be designed with this in mind.

hzhzhz 22:01 15 Mar 06

I suppose just make sure all ventilation is ok. No probs otherwise in my opinion.

Kev.Ifty 22:04 15 Mar 06

Is that Irony?

You're right it would be a long experiment for your computer being left on to effect the environment. Now if we all did it...We'd see Icebergs up the Thames in no time.

Sorry.. Take the obvious precautions. Surge protection and lots of free flowing air around the tower or base unit to allow it to keep cool.

You should be able to make you're environmental contribution without any problems.

Cheers Kev.

mammak 22:08 15 Mar 06

sype yes I have one of my four on a home network running on BB for more than a week without rebooting keeping my AV ect up to date never had a problem good luck mate
PS. some might say cold booting your PC all the time(every day) might cause problems with your hard drive?

spuds 22:43 15 Mar 06

If you have household or business insurance, then check to see if there is a clause about leaving electrical goods working but unattended.Some insurance companies are tightening up on things called possible fire hazards.

Stuartli 23:23 15 Mar 06

I leave my system running all day for about 15 hours even if I have to go out for any reason.

The vast number of computers in the offices where I used to work were on day and night and that was 10 years ago and more...:-)

I do have the assurance of a mains system whereby even if a light bulb goes, the particular circuit is switched off in a nanosecond by an electronic fuse box.

terryf 00:58 16 Mar 06

If you do leave on all night to do some process, it could be worth investing in a UPS (uninterruptible Power Supply, they seemed to have dropped in price like click here
I often leave my PC on all day and night when I am downloading

smy13 08:25 16 Mar 06

It's the only appliance in our house that's never turned off at night. it's only turned of to reboot when needed. The reason being, I was once told by a repair man that came out to replace a under warranty MoBo that rebooting every day puts stress on the HD and other components (don't know if this is the case or not), be interested in what you find out sype

€dstowe 09:11 16 Mar 06

Further to what spuds wrote, the insurers for my business premises are very strict about what can and cannot be left operational in unattended premises.

I am permitted to have the intrusion alarm, fireproof safety lighting and a FAX machine left switched on. The FAX machine must be in a room equipped with firedoors, automatic power cutoff in the event of failure or fire and an automatic fire extinguisher.

This may seem OTT but I go get nice low insurance rates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac