Is it safe to buy an OEM for my new pc?

nazarene 23:08 18 Jul 09

Hi, I have a new pc but as yet no OS. I am going to purchase an OEM Windows XP Home for it. I have found a cheap one which says it is genuine, licensed, and in an unopened pack. It originally went with a dell computer, but he says it has never been activated - would it be wise to trust this. A friend has given me his XP disc with activation code, but I think it may be an OEM which I understand won't work on another pc. How can I tell looking at the disc if it is an OEM? Written on the disc amongst other things is: "for distribution with a new PC only" and "Microsoft products are licensed to OEMs by Microsoft" etc. Do I just simply have to buy another OEM being as here in Australia there is virtually no full retail ones available. Thanks in advance.

recap 23:19 18 Jul 09

click here it may answer your questions?

Forum Editor 01:11 19 Jul 09

is licenced for, and intended for use on a new computer only. The licence officially 'dies' when the computer does, you may not install it on another machine, which is why you saw "for distribution with a new PC only".

If OEM software was legal to use on any computer we would all be buying it - Microsoft wouldn't sell anything else.

Diemmess 11:41 19 Jul 09

FE has stated very clearly the correct and legal situation.
However, your PC is new and if you can buy an OEM version from the PC supplier, I cannot see why you shouldn't go that way.

More questionable is to buy an OEM version from a separate source.
Provided it is used with the new PC the spirit of the act is the same and neither Micrsoft nor anyone else is the loser.

Strawballs 22:31 20 Jul 09

I'm with Diemmess on this one. If it is still sealed and never been activated and you are installing on new build PC I can't see the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…