Is it really worth having DV/In on Camcorder ? .

PhilMeIn 17:03 19 Jan 03
  PhilMeIn 17:03 19 Jan 03

Thinking of buying camcorder , many don't have DV/in and to get it costs more and usually take away some features of the machine . I would be transferring the video onto vcd anyway , so do i really need to send it back to the camcorder ? .
Can anyone help me who have a camcorder .
Appreciate any help .

siouxah1 20:14 19 Jan 03

Not really much of an answer but it will put you back to the top. There are a few keen Videocam users on the forum.

I do use Digital videocam with DV in enabled. Does one really need it? I'm not sure. But I do use it to write the finished edit back to the camera and store it on tape separately from CD. Even though I do burn it as SVCD to CD. It gives me a second string to my bow should I wish to bore my relatives by showing it on TV. They might not have a suitable DVD player.

Regards Brian

hgrock 20:55 19 Jan 03

PhilMeIn
i used to think it was important but unless you want to put the edited clips back to the dv tape and why is the question. i can mave a dvd disk or any other format i choose or even move it to a vhs tape, i dont think its that important if you got it ok if not no prob, thats my opinion anyway

PA28 23:01 19 Jan 03

I haven't got it on my Samsung camcorder - and I wish I had! Until DVD writers become mainstream (and they nearly are), then I find that VCD compromises quality a little too much. As for transferring to VHS, this is a considerable compromise in going back to analogue quality - why bother with digital in the first place except to produce a decent master copy? If you use a digicam, DV in is very useful. If you are about to buy a new one, I would definitely specify DVin.

siarad 23:10 19 Jan 03

Yes you'll get better quality. Curiously there's a large tax on DV/in which is why the price rises, the technology is trivial. Probably those big gun companies wanting their piece of supposedly illegally copied films.

Patr100 23:29 19 Jan 03

DV in camcorders are classed in the EEC as DV video recorders hence the increased price.

The point is that any analogue process deteriorates with each copy or editing process - As PA28 has said Transferring back to DV tape enables you to keep clean master copies.

second best 01:06 20 Jan 03

hi, my advice is, get it anyway. it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. if you have the kind of money for a mini dv anyway, i'm sure you can stretch to a little more for the convenience should you need it. i'm a film student, and i find the in/out feature indispensible when it comes to reproducing my work. even a copy from a master dv tape to a quality vhs is superior to a vcd. the future is around the corner my friend; spend the extra and get in/out.

stlucia 08:53 20 Jan 03

Many DV cameras have DV-in, but it's been disabled for the UK market for tax reasons. For these cameras it is sometimes (often?) possible to re-enable the DV-in once you've bought it. If the manufacturer doesn't give any details, there are third-party companies who can sell you software for around £30-£40 which will do it.

PhilMeIn 10:21 20 Jan 03

Thankyou to all your replies , i asked the question because in particular the Samsung VPD10 , selling for £380 , has an optical zoom of 22x , and yet the next model with DV/in for £450 only has 10x , also on Jessops site nice Sony model £ 450 with Carl Zeis Lens . Thankyou again for your responses :) .

PhilMeIn 10:48 20 Jan 03

Sorry got the price wrong Samsung VPD10 is £ 349.99 which is £ 100 less than the next model which does have DV/in but only has 10x optical zoom compared to the VPD10 of 22x at Jessops .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…