Is it possible to work out how much power I use

Proclaimer 00:21 18 Jan 09

inside my PC?

Over the years I have added drives and memory to my PC and now I think I should make sure the PSU can handle it.

The PSU is 450w but how can I find out if this needs upgraded?

rdave13 00:38 18 Jan 09

If it's working OK then don't bother. If you feel uneasy after the hardware upgrades you have done then upgrade to a 700w or higher if it makes you feel more comfortable.

mrwoowoo 02:17 18 Jan 09
  howard64 16:56 18 Jan 09

as a retired electrician there is a simple but long winded way of working it out. Pick a time when you can spend at your pc preferably when very little equipment is switched on in the rest of the premises. Read your electricity meter including the red numbers or last dial depending on type of meter. Then for 1 hour use everything on your pc to its maximum. Switch the pc off and read the meter again. Now assuming the connected equipment remains the same read the meter again after 1 hour. The difference in the units used without the pc on indicates how much energy was used by your pc. Most meters indicate energy used in kW hours. As this has been for 1 hour your reading is kW directly. My guess is that you will hardly notice any difference in the readings and unless you have fitted several hard drives your existing psu will be adequate.

I am Spartacus 17:14 18 Jan 09

Power meter from Maplins click here

citadel 18:18 18 Jan 09

if the psu came with the pc it is probably a cheap and inefficient one.
you could upgrade to a 80% + psu, and save electricity. these psu's are also quiet.

T0SH 18:54 18 Jan 09

Interesting I have just entered the details of my PC into the power requirement calculator (second option from mrwoowoo`s post) it comes up with a reccomended 404 Watt rating, but using my power meter (earlier version of the Maplin one posted by Spartacus) the highest ever reading I have seen on it was 165 Watts and that only once normally it is no more than 155 Watts

So can I suggest these power estimate sites are mostly about selling inflated cost over kill power supplies with equally inflated power ratings

So following what Howard64 says and coming from a similar background please before making any investment in an overpriced power supply suck it and see with your current one

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…