is it possible that this virus is affecting

clarky8325 22:51 15 Oct 03

my graphics card drivers?

click here

hugh-265156 23:03 15 Oct 03

have you carried out a scan with an up to date AV?

doubt it would affect the display if you had it.

clarky8325 23:11 15 Oct 03

yes

hugh-265156 23:16 15 Oct 03

why do you disbelieve norton?and what makes you think you have this particular one?

maybe if you explained the graphics problem.

woodchip 23:21 15 Oct 03

More to the point what's the problem

clarky8325 23:28 15 Oct 03

norton is unable to remove the virus. see here. click here

note the failed attempt by norton to remove it. i then followed their instructions for removal here:
click here

still no joy.

my laptop will boot every time but rarely with the screen (monitor) working. when i do get a screen (about every 30th boot) within 2 minutes i get an xp error 'windows has recovered from a serious problem' relating to the 'nvidia graphics card drivers' i have downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and am trying to get the machine to boot with screen so that i can delete and reinstall drivers.

either i have a virus that is affecting the graphics card drivers or i have a virus and a graphics card driver problem as well!

hopes that makes sense

laptop spec: click here

graphics card: click here

virus spec: click here

woodchip 23:35 15 Oct 03

If you have backup's or no important Info why not fdisk/format that should clear it if it's not in memory or bios. If it's a Restore Disc this may not be an option

clarky8325 23:39 15 Oct 03

my lifes work on the hd and last back up was august :o(

hugh-265156 00:43 16 Oct 03

im no expert but most AV`s will just quarintine a virus,then you can delete it from here,some require a bit more effort.as you have followed symantecs guide for removal i doubt that the graphics problem is related to this.

graphics drivers are the cause of many problems.

try removing the graphics driver via add remove programs and installing the latest version click here which will have up to date bug fixes.

update windows too click here and also update your motherboard drivers to the latest ones from the manufacturers website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…