is it possible to use onboard Sound & soundcard?

BigAl127 16:36 18 Nov 04

Is it possible to be able to use the onboard sound and a seperate soundcard at the same time?

My reason for asking is for a friend who runs a disco via his computer. He wants to be able to put the sound from music videos thru his projector onto a screen, whilst at the same time using the other sound card, for microphone, setting next track and other stuff etc.

If more info his needed, please ask.

CurlyWhirly 16:52 18 Nov 04

Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I was always led to believe that you should ONLY run one anti-virus, one firewall, one graphics card and only ONE sound card (i.e. NOT onboard sound at the same time due to hardware conflict)

mattyc_92 16:55 18 Nov 04

Yes you can install another Sound Card but I don't think that you can use one for one thing e.g. music and the other for a different task. Your computer automatically sends the sound data to your sound card and I am not aware of any way of manually selecting what goes where. Even if this was possible, you would have to be a ICT pro....
Soz about this

mattyc_92 16:57 18 Nov 04

As CurlyWhirly said there would be hardware conflicts that will crash your system, corrupt files and even short circuit your motherboard to some extent

TomJerry 16:58 18 Nov 04

may be just a simple mix deck will solve his problem.

Work or not all depends. If on-board and extra from the same maker, it may work. Just try it out and he will see it.

TomJerry 17:05 18 Nov 04

if you need to, you can have a few graphics all work together, this is how people use multi-monitors.

I have a PC which has two graphics cards, one PCI and one AGP in addition to on-board graphics. Totally I run 5 monitors, each G-card takes two monitors (DVI+VGA) and on-board take one VGA.

Normally, install a g-card will automatically disable on-board graphics, but this is not the case for ATI chipset. My on-board is ATI IGP 9100, AGP is ATI 9600 and PCI is ATI 9200. All work perfectly.

CurlyWhirly 20:42 18 Nov 04

You can have a few graphics all work together this is how people use multi-monitors.

I have never heard of this sorry.
Regarding multi-monitors MOST modern graphics cards come with a secondary option like for example in Device Manager I have TWO graphic card entries:
'Radeon X800 Pro' & 'Radeon X800 Pro secondary' and the secondary option can be used for a second monitor but as I don't have TWO monitors I never use this option.

CurlyWhirly 20:42 18 Nov 04

p.s. I can't understand what you want 5 monitors for?
Are you an Administrator or something? lol

TomJerry 22:19 18 Nov 04

sometime I play a little on future market (mainly main US stock indix future contracts) in the evening and I need a lot of price graphs and news feed for making correct decision in fast moving markets. Small hobby, but paid for all my PCs including monitors.

CurlyWhirly 22:27 18 Nov 04

Now I know why you need so many monitors as it must be hard to keep your eye on all the IT information! lol

BigAl127 07:41 19 Nov 04

Any further advice on my original question, would be much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…