Is it possible to update a smart tv with a prepaid data usb plan please??

julius44 21:53 20 Dec 13

Hello and good evening to you all. I'm hoping I can get a definitive answer and help with the scenario please. My friend is looking to buy a smart tv in the sale preferably a samsung or lg tv from John Lewis. The problem he has is that where he's living right now, he has NO internet access and unfortunately he wont be getting internet access in his room but he was wondering whether he can purchase a prepaid data usb stick, for instance once that has about 6gb like EE, and connect the one of the ports on the usb and whether the Tv will then update from the data stick?? I hope i'm making sense please??

Or can anyone suggest the best option please?

Woolwell 22:23 20 Dec 13

Almost certainly no - Smart TV's mainly connect by ethernet but a few do by wifi. If he gets a wifi or wif enabled set then it may be possible to use a mobile wifi dongle but I have no idea how well that would work. Data download could be poor unless it is 4G and it depends on coverage.

woodchip 23:12 20 Dec 13

TV auto updates through the Ariel, Go to Menu/Settings.

But if you want to use it like a Computer to do online shopping you need a Dongle as you said. But they are expensive to run. Alternative is connect is Cel Phone as a router if he as plenty of Data Allowance on it, by using a USB cable to connect it. this is the same as a Dongle. Look under Connectivity etc on is phone to use it as above

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 21 Dec 13

Its very unlikely that the TV (D series TVs definitely not, E series only some possibly) can use a Mobile dongle direct in the USB port

I think the only way to go is to purchase a router which will accept a 3G Mobile dongle.

The TV then can be connected either by wireless or Ethernet cable to the router you can also then connect your phones / laptop / tablet wirelessly to the router as a mobile broadband tarrif is likely to be cheaper than that of the phone alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…