Is it possible to turn off USB ports?

bof:) 21:35 15 May 03

Hi all,

Just installed new hard drive...reinstalled win98se and everything is working ok except for my Lexmark X75 printer/scanner/copier.

if I try to print I get a meaage in a box, headed

'Lexmark X74-X75 USB001'

Communication not available. Printer cannot communicate with PC.

so far I have:

deteted and reinstalled drivers from Device Manager and rebooted/reinstalled them.

(also done this with drivers downloaded from Lexmark website)

disconnected and reconnected USB cable from both PC and printer.

disconnected power cable from printer.

I ask about turning off USB ports because earlier I managed to print a test page...but nothing since.

I am using win98se.

Also it was working perfectly when I had the previous hard drive installed.

Any thoughtss please,

Thankyou

Mike

Dekay 21:42 15 May 03

Hi.
I had same problem with epson printer. Make sure you follow on screen instructions when installing driver, has I have found most usb devices need to be plugged in about half way through install, or after a reboot.

jospar 21:58 15 May 03

I know this sounds silly, but push all your power cables together, and/or change the main plug to another socket.

I know this sounds silly, but when I detached my x73, due to a complete rebuild I had major problems, I could get test pages but couldn't get it to print, and had major trouble getting it to load. Even though the power light remained on. the problem was solved by pressing on my main plug, which seemed to be fully inserted.

when I told some one else about this, they change there plug over to another socket and that got it going.

The only assumption I can make of this is the x73 is very particular on how much power it needs to work or other wise it has its files corrupted but at the end of the day it is always worth a try!

woodchip 22:02 15 May 03

You need to remove you printer USB plug, then Go to Device Manager remove all USB restart your computer. Allow it to load any other USB, then install printer software, then plug in scanner when it ask's for driver point it to the CD with the software Divers on it. PS make sure you remove printer and folders before you do the above

woodchip 22:03 15 May 03

Sorry plug in the printer

bof:) 19:39 16 May 03

Dekay and Jospar.. took out power plug and reinserted it...no change.

Woodchip..

used unistall option on the Lexmark printer program.

checked in device manager and removed all references to printer.

used Jv tools registery cleaner to remove all references to Lexmark printer/scanner.

click here

rebooted pc with out usb plug in back of printer.

turned printer on....put usb plug into printer, and windows detected it straight away. Asked for driver disk and I just followed the on screen instructions.

Its working fine now.

Many thanks for all of the help to all of you.

Mike

woodchip 22:22 16 May 03

Glad to see something work all the best Woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…