Is it possible to short a mobo with a dvd drive

keith-236785 14:32 24 Mar 04

My nephew has just rung in a panic, he has just bought and tried to fit a new cdrw/dvd combi drive. when hetried to boot back up the pc is dead, power fan spins up but no picture to screen.

i have suggested what i know, but without looking at it myself i am stuck....

Does anyone know if it is possible for a cd-rw/dvd drive to short out a mobo to the point where it wont even post? and if so is there a solution or is it a new mobo required.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

paperman

anon1 14:56 24 Mar 04

It is possible to short out the mo board in any manner. The most likely problem is a lead on wrong. The first and most obvious thing to do is to unplug the device and try booting the pc. if that works then when coupling the ribbon cable make sure it is the correct way round (pin 1 to pin1) it may also need the jumpers set according to the way it is being connected.

anon1 14:58 24 Mar 04

Of course the other thing is did he dislodge the video card or anything else in fact.

Sir Radfordin 15:04 24 Mar 04

Yes you can, but you can short the mobo doing all maner of things.

Best thing for him to do is work backwards and remove anyhting he has fited and see what happens.

Then check everything is in place and see if there are any loose cables.

Then remove components bit by bit such as an cards like the modem/usb/soundcard. Then the graphics card, and also the HD and any other optical drives. Then the memory.

See if that helps resolve the problem.

keith-236785 15:24 24 Mar 04

Thanks for the suggestions, we have tried everything except removing graphic card and memory/ other cards... these were not touched during the swapping of the cd drives, we have tried clearing the cmos and still cant get it to post. (then to my dismay and against my wishes he pulled all the case connectors off and now we cant even get it to power on)

he is going to try again and then give in and take it to a shop for it to be fixed (more money that sense).

this is from a guy who last time it wouldnt work, finally admitted to PUNCHING the case because windows crashed. after i had tried about an hour to get it going, found it was the reset switch stuck in on that occasion. but we have unplugged it this time so we know it aint that.

thanks again for trying to help

anon1 15:32 24 Mar 04

The cables are no big thing. Download a copy of the manual click here but basically the wiring is self explanatory

anon1 15:34 24 Mar 04

I wonder if he shorted the motherboard with static electricity. Like touched the mainboard without first discharging static form himself.

keith-236785 16:16 24 Mar 04

Thanks all, he took it to a computer shop and they sorted it.....the memory wasnt seated in properly. last thing we were gonna try but he didnt want to do it himself and i couldnt get there today.

medicine hat 17:04 24 Mar 04

And how much did that cost to put right?

keith-236785 12:46 25 Mar 04

whilst he was there he also had a further 512mb of mem (pc2700)fitted by them and they didnt charge for labour/testing.

just £50 for the memory.

not bad service for once

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…