Is it possible to network via a phone line?

DJ 23:46 07 Mar 05

I do work on accounts programmes for a number of clients at their establishments. In one case, I use an office in a building on the opposite side of a farmyard from the main network. My computer has been network linked, peer to peer, but the lines keep being damaged by wind! An underground connection is also not a good idea as the rats are frequently hungry!! There is a broadband phone line used exclusively by myself (as a phone line) and another computer connected to the network and using it for broadband, so there is the speech side of the line still available. Does anyone know if there is some method of networking the computers over this line, and the broadband connection, without using wifi, as there is far too much reinforced concrete in the way for a good wifi connection? Sorry, not a straightforward problem, but judging by the ideas and knowledge I've quietly watched on this forum, I'm sure someone will rise to the challange! Any pointers would be a starting point. Any takers, please?

Forum Editor 01:36 08 Mar 05

If there is, why don't you just log into it via the broadband connection on your phone line? If there's an IT person running the network he/she will very quickly be able to set this up for you, and that will be that.

My daughter's company has set her up to do exactly the same thing from her flat, so she can work from home when she wants to.

DJ 09:19 08 Mar 05

Thanks, F.E. That could help, as you say, but my workstation, although on the same phone line is not on the internet. Are you saying that I could share the broadband connection of the other computer on the phoneline?

If this would work, it would be the best solution and all would be resolved as there is a server running on the network.

Look forward to reply.

FelixTCat 11:14 08 Mar 05

There a some commercial programs which will allow you to do this, e.g. Laplink and pcAnywhere

Forum Editor 00:05 09 Mar 05

on a broadband-enabled line, so if the other machine is online you couldn't use the connection.
Otherwise you could connect using your own modem and log-in to the server. As FelixTCat says, there is software that you could use for this purpose. If the other computer is using the connection most of the time this wouldn't be feasible however, and we're back to a wireless network situation.When you say there's "far too much reinforced concrete in the way for a good wifi connection" how do you know - have you tried? There are now new, and more powerful WiFi routers available, and one of these might save the day. I have been using one on my home network for a couple of months now, and the increase in performance is very impressive. Belkin, who make the True MIMO Pre-N router claim that it has up to four times the range of a 'normal' router, and I have to say that in my case they're about right. It may be the answer for you, as well.

Otherwise, you could always run a conventional LAN cable across to the other building in a conduit. You could run it inside one and a quarter inch plastic waste pipe - the solvent weld type that plumbers use - and if you bury it in a shallow trench overfilled with a bit of concrete the rats won't touch it. I've done the same thing for clients with offices in a converted farm, and it works very well.

DJ 08:19 09 Mar 05

Thanks, Felix Cat and Forum Editor.

Very useful info. We'll give the wifi another go, I think.

Thanks again.

TomJerry 00:06 10 Mar 05

you can get a WiFi bridger (or repeater) in between to extend the range

Forum Editor 00:25 10 Mar 05

Indeed you can, but I think that the problem there would be that DJ is on one side of a farmyard and the network is on the other - there is unlikely to be a power socket for a repeater, or anywhere dry and protected from the weather.

wjrt 13:02 10 Mar 05

at present have 2 PC's and 1 laptop connecting to BB using this system.
BT home network 1200 is an ADSL modem/router.
1 PC next to this connects via USB and laptop via ethernet. other PC is downstairs and has a BT home network PC adapter plugged in to a USB port which goes to a phone extension socket and if that sounds magic then it works.

wjrt 13:20 10 Mar 05

click here

this might be latest model says can do wireless or wired connection worth pursuing perhaps

barney1234568910 17:38 10 Mar 05

you could use Net 2 Plug from Packard bell, it uses the electrical wires for sockets e.t.c to transmit its data. I use it to netwok a laptop and a pc, you can share internet connection, files and games. 200 m range-(as long as the two buildings are connected to the same junction box)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…