Is it possible to find out if something on my

dagwoood 03:53 10 Oct 04

system is reserving RAM?

I started a thread(click here)because I had noticed something unusual in task manager.

If I turn off my page file, I found out my system is making 98MB of RAM unavailable to me. I came to this conclusion as I have 1GB of RAM installed(which my system is picking up correctly)but in taskmanager, when I turn off my pagefile it says I have a commit charge total of 926MB.

Is there a way for me to find out if something is reserving this RAM, whether it be some s/w or h/w I have on/in my system?

I'm running on XP SP2, Athlon XP 3200+, 2x512MB pc3200 RAM, Radeon 9600 256MB graphics card, Maxtor 40GB H/D.

This is doing my head in trying to get to the bottom of this :0(

I'd be REALLY grateful for any input, dagwoood.

Rayuk 09:01 10 Oct 04

Have you looked in your start up/msconfig for programs that start up when you boot they use up your ram.
Have a look in task manager under Processes and the ram they are using.

Old Shep 11:16 10 Oct 04

Dont really understand the finer points of your thread but have you checked what is exactly runnung in task manager some you can turn off. click here

dagwoood 12:05 10 Oct 04

Rayuk/Old Shep, thanks for that, but the processes that are running at boot up aren't the problem. There is something else, in addition to these, that is reserving/using RAM.

Crx1600, great minds think alike! The idea of removing a stick of RAM came to me late last night(should say, early hours of this morning). I was about to do this after checking in on here if anyone had posted to this thread. Thanks for the continued interest by the way.

Again, thanks everyone, dagwoood.

Dorsai 12:15 10 Oct 04

Are you sure windows is getting it's sums right to start with?

Like was said about HDD's, some maker call it 120Gb, taking it as 120,000,000,000 bits. (1000 x 1000 x 1000)

Bit a computer Gb is 1024 x 1024 x 1024.

So a 120Gb HDD ends up around the 111Gb mark.

so apply this idea to task manager.

What if the person who wrote the task maganer app is using a figure supplied from another part of windows, written by some-one else.

windows passes a figure of 120 to task manager.

Task manager does the math on it to turn 120 into 111.

You see 111 on the screen and it is the correst figure.

But if task manager is passed the correct figure of 111 to start with, but is written to do the math on it, you would see 104, wrong.

Rayuk 14:07 10 Oct 04

Not to sure if you can glean any info from click here

dagwoood 16:18 10 Oct 04

Crx1600, took a stick of RAM out, rebooted and guess what? The difference went down from 96MB to 32MB.

So it's not something hogging 96MB of RAM. I beginning to think that this maybe down to XP

dagwoood 16:27 10 Oct 04

To continue, I think this is most probably XP reserving some RAM for the system cache. The more RAM you install, the more RAM XP will reserve for it. If I had a stick of 256MB RAM, I would've put that in(to give me a total of 768MB RAM), just to see if the difference was 64MB.

At least now I know what it probably is and I ain't gonna worry about it :0)

I'd like to thank everyone again for the input, it's appreciated, dagwoood.

dagwoood 00:27 11 Oct 04

crx1600, thanks for trying it with 256MB RAM.

It seems that XP will reserve some RAM, and it's proportional to how much RAM you have on your system.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…