Is it possible to convert a master hard drive

courtster 18:49 28 Mar 06

into a slave drive for a new pc therefore keeping all my old data on the hardrive?

phono 18:52 28 Mar 06

Shouldn't be a problem, how "hard" it would be to do would depend on the OS installed on it.

Forum Editor 19:04 28 Mar 06

Just alter the jumper on the back of the drive to the 'slave' position. Open the computer's case and install the drive in a spare drive bay. Connect it to one of the spare power leads that you'll find waiting, and also to the available connector on the IDE cable that runs to the existing drive.

Turn the computer on, and wait for it to boot into Windows on the new drive. With luck you'll find that Windows has detected the slave drive, has allocated a drive letter, and is displaying it in 'My computer'. All your data files will now be accessible, and once you've made sure that everything is working properly you can erase the old Windows operating system from the slave drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 28 Mar 06

Swap jumper to slave and it will not boot from the op system on the drive.

Fit new drive set to master and install your op system (XP).

when up and running you can access files but not all programs from old disk.

courtster 16:06 13 Apr 06

So ive finally done it and was wondering now how do i remove the windows operating system of my old hard drive?

Confab 16:10 13 Apr 06

Copy all the files you want to keep to your master hard drive and then format the slave. This can be done in windows. Then copy all the files back to the slave drive

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced