Is it possible to connect to an MS Excel page

toga 10:42 01 Jul 04

I use an XL sheet (with formulas) to calculate times of attendance.

I would like to know if it is possble to connect to that XL sheet and display its contents (possible entering new data) via internet explorer (a webpage, using javascript or HTML).

Any ideas will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Taran 13:00 01 Jul 04

There are JavaScript solutions to this but to an extent I am wary of using them for potential security reasons. JavaScript is processed by the web browser and although there are ways to lock things down to a degree, the code is still downloaded to the browser which means it is accessible to someone who could use it maliciously.

The way I normally do this is by using ASP web pages running on a Windows IIS server and the Excel document is treated as a database file to an extent. Web queries run via the ASP pages, the ASP code is processed securely by the web server and content may be displayed form the Excel file or updated via an administration form, preferably with secure password locked access.

Ozgrid click here have an Excel add-in which helps you create ASP, JavaScript and HTML solutions for publishing web pages that link to Excel.

FrontPage or Dreamweaver, to name just two programs, can also help you create the necessary ASP pages but finding an acceptably priced web host with the necessary features to support this might be prohibitive.

The answer is yes, it can be done but it's not a walk in the park and unless it would potentially save you a great deal of time (and therefore money) I'd question the value of attempting it.

tbh72 02:39 02 Jul 04

If you definately want to work with Excel, then the other thing you can do is:

Create your file and upload it to your webspace, preferably in ZIP format. On a remote computer you can access the file via the web, make the required changes and reload the updated file to the webserver. You will then be able to access the most current file from any location, but it would require downloading to view.

If you required that the information be available online could you not set up a seperate sheet, which could be saved as an HTML file for viewing online. This would of course not be editable automatically? Long winded solution but it would enable you to continue to use Excel and your current design??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…