Is it possible to connect ethernet cable to dsl router ?

Liutc 18:10 PM 23 Apr 13
Answered

Hi, my incoming internet connection is with Ethernet cable (when i plug it in my laptop internet works fine), it is possible to plug ethernet cable and share internet connection with this ADSL modem http://cmcnet.en.made-in-china.com/product/GoUJMYWFfyVd/China-Thomson-Speedtouch-ST585-V6-54mpbs-4-Port-Wireless-ADSL2-Modem.html ? Thank you for your answers.

spuds 18:27 PM 23 Apr 13

Looking at the specifications, it would appear so.

mgmcc 19:21 PM 23 Apr 13

What is your "incoming internet connection" -

• Is it an ethernet ADSL Modem?
  • Is it an ethernet Cable Modem?
  • Is it a wall-mounted ethernet port in Halls of Residence or similar?

The Modem/Router that you link to is intended to connect to a phone line as its WAN port (internet connection) and it would not be suitable for connecting to an existing ethernet internet connection.

It also appears to be fairly old hardware as it only supports 802.11g (54Mbps) wireless. Routers sold these days support 802.11n (150 or 300Mbps).

Strawballs 21:59 PM 23 Apr 13

It sounds to me you just need a wireless access point or get a cable router if all you want to do is make the incoming internet wireless

Liutc 22:12 PM 23 Apr 13

I live in a campus so it is wall-mounted ethernet port. Maybe some kind of adapter would work for me ? Strawballs thank you for your answer, you are right.

Strawballs 22:17 PM 23 Apr 13
Answer

Then a wireless cable (DSL) router is what you need

Something like these

Liutc 23:09 PM 23 Apr 13

Thanks for your help

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED