Is it possible to change Camcorder DV-out to DV-in

webber_man 19:28 10 Apr 06

Not sure if this is the right forum for 'camcorder' help!

After looking around, getting a bit of advice etc, i have gone for a entry level JVC camcorder.

I have today bought What Digital Camcorder magazine and inside it happens to mention that In EU excise laws a camcorder with a DV-in gets taxed at a higher rate than a 'normal' camcorder, and so, this function is factory disabled and becomes DV-out only.

I was just wondering if this is a bit like DVD players being region 2 by defualt, but if you have the codes you can make the DVD player region free? Basically, is there a way to make this into DV-in?

stlucia 20:19 10 Apr 06

You may be able to -- I did it to my Panasonic five years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got the software. I do remember it cost about £30, and I think it was of German origin, but it was through a UK dealer.

Google "enable dv-in" and see what you get. Seems like some companies are deserting the market, but click here looks promising.

woodchip 20:25 10 Apr 06

Not if the camera does not support it. Check the manual

GroupFC 20:31 10 Apr 06

I believe that it is possible to obtain widgets to enable dv-in on some cameras. You could have trawl through click here, although looking further into the site, it would appear that the company is no longer developing the range (presumably falling foul of the Eu regulations!).

As your camcorder is an entry level unit, I suspect a DV-in widget is unlikely to be available.

woodchip 20:39 10 Apr 06

That must be why my JVC cost, As it as DV in out, USB2 in out, AV in out, and S-Video in out

webber_man 21:54 10 Apr 06

Thanks all for the replies - i'll have a look about.

Well done woodchip on all your in and outs!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…