Is it possible...

Spinner29 23:47 09 Dec 09

...to manually switch on a laptops cooling fans?

Graham. 23:59 09 Dec 09

To give your thread a meaningful title?

Spinner29 00:09 10 Dec 09

"To give your thread a meaningful title?"

It is a proven way to get folk to read the content. Some just look at the title and don't bother.

After all, you read and commented lol

ArrGee 00:18 10 Dec 09

1. Ignore and avoid anyone unhelpful called 'Graham.'.

2. Not with a laptop. With a desktop there is a level of fan control dependent upon the motherboard and fan-type installed. However, you can purchase external fans for a laptop which clip-on and can be controlled.

(Sorry Graham., just had to get that in given your previous posts!)

Spinner29 00:27 10 Dec 09

Hi

It's just that my laptop fan has been on for hours now, and it never used to. I have changed and mucked around with computer settings in the last few days, and wondered if I'd done something to change it.

PS what ever Ive done is welcome as the chuffing thing isn't burning my legs like usual,

I must have done something though, thinking about it.

ArrGee 00:32 10 Dec 09

If you have a lot of background tasks running, then the fan will run fast. Try to reduce the background tasks first and see how the laptop responds.

Spinner29 01:05 10 Dec 09

"If you have a lot of background tasks running, then the fan will run fast. Try to reduce the background tasks first and see how the laptop responds."

Just a thought. The other day I uninstalled my antivirus programme. Could malware, spyware be causing this to happen?

Anyway, I much prefer the lappy with the fans on. There ought to be a feature for this.

tullie 06:20 10 Dec 09

I believe its not a good idea to use a laptop on your lap,blocks the airflow.

User-1229748 06:36 10 Dec 09

changing your power plan to high performance may cause the fans to come on more often if that is what you are trying to do.although not advisable you could go into the advanced power settings and change the minimum processor state to a higher percent.i would think the life expectency of your lappy would decrease though :o(

canarieslover 08:56 10 Dec 09

If you must have it on your lap then at least get a tray to put it on so that airflow is improved. Or, better still, one of these. click here That will keep the computer, and your lap, much cooler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…