Is it OK to upgrade Win95 to Win98SE ?

281apple 07:11 21 Oct 06

A handicapped friend of mine was given an oldie with Win 95 on it and wants me to upgrade it to Win98SE.
I've got the program and an do it but are there any risks (pitfalls) to be on the look out for? All comments will be appreciated. I'll do it Sunday I can get the green light. Thanks for him.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:08 21 Oct 06

Spec of PC? Hard drive size and amount of RAM?

As long as you have a minimun of 8G HDD and 128Mb Ram it should be OK.

jakimo 10:15 21 Oct 06

Keep in mind that Microsoft no longer offer any support for Win 95\98\Melenium

Taff™ 10:31 21 Oct 06

I`ve got Win98SE on a computer with only 3Gb HDD and 64 Mb RAM - works fine! Whilst unsupported there are updates available. click here

In April 2004 Microsoft issued a Security Disc that automatically updated systems including WMP 9 and IE6. If you want a copy by post drop me a personal message using the yellow envelope and I`ll burn you a copy.

Belatucadrus 12:15 21 Oct 06

I changed my old W95 PC to W98 about a year ago, mainly because of the better USB support, it works fine.
With regards to lack of Microsoft support for W9X operating systems, if you're worried about security, ensure you've got an up to date antivirus click here, compatible firewall click here and try an alternative browser like Firefox click here , K-meleon click here or Opera click here.

rodriguez 12:33 21 Oct 06

It should be ok. Windows 98SE doesn't take too much power to run, but as it's a Win 95 machine you might not have any USB ports. You can get internal USB cards though that add USB support and these are quite easy to fit. I once ran Win XP on an Intel Celeron 333 Mhz with 64 MB of RAM and a 6 GB hard drive. It still worked....just about. Was a little slow but it worked.

ed-0 12:45 21 Oct 06

Windows 98se should work with the minimum of a 233Mhz cpu, 1Gb hard drive (basic installation is around 350Mb )and 32Mb's of ram.

Anything above that is a bonus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…