Is it ok to uninstall I.E?

buel 17:29 04 May 09

Hi, i use firefox and want to uninstall internet explorer, is this safe to do?
I have xp.

isca2 17:35 04 May 09

You do not need to think about uninstalling just because you use another browser. Just don't use IE. I may be wrong ( and am sure I will be corrected if so ) but I thought IE was somehow woven into Windows and could not be uninstalled. I know you can uninstall current versions which winds you back to an earlier version, but I don't think you can get rid of it. Best left alone !

Sea Urchin 17:38 04 May 09

No you cannot uninstall IE - it's part of the OS. And you may be glad of it one day if Firefox goes up the creek - it can happen!!!

feb 18:15 04 May 09

Microsoft only updates through IE5 or later

Stuartli 18:26 04 May 09

Microsoft Updates are readily available in Firefox...:-)

See:

click here

Stuartli 18:29 04 May 09

Regarding Uninstalling IE:

click here

click here

However, it is only a reversion to the previous version.

feb 00:05 05 May 09

Thanks Stuartli, but doesn't that plugin only open IE from within Firefox?

Sea Urchin 00:08 05 May 09

Yes feb - I think that's the point Stuartli was making

ambra4 04:08 05 May 09

You cannot uninstall IE it part of windows XP and windows will not allow you to uninstall IE

If you install “IE Tab Extension” this will open IE in Firefox if required to view web page

click here

The best way to stop IE is to use the “Set Program Access & Default settings” in the Start folder

Click start – Click Set Program Access And Default – Custom – Select Use my Current Web

Browser and remove the tick “Enable access to this program” next to IE

ened 07:01 05 May 09

Why do you keep wanting to uninstall parts of Windows?

If you don't like it you should try Linux.

Regarding Firefox - I was led to believe some pages will only load properly in IE so it is worth keeping for that reason alone.

laurie53 08:01 05 May 09

In my experience some sites, particularly secure financial ones, will only open properly in IE.

Camelot used to be one, though it no longer is.

That's the only time I ever use IE, maybe half a dozen times a year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple