Is it OK to leave PC always on?

ĀÕL иàťﻍŗ 20:08 16 Apr 03

I am just about to have broadband fitted on my PC and i wanted to know if it is ok to leave the pc on all the time? without turning it off, i use winxp pro.thanks

recap 20:13 16 Apr 03

If it is a cable modem then you don't have to have the PC turned on all the time. To your question though, yes as the HD should turn it's self off after a time.

STEVE71163 20:21 16 Apr 03

I have broadband fitted with sygate firewall and norton antivirus 2003 and leave my pc and aol connected 24/7.

Pesala 22:41 16 Apr 03
  Stuartli 22:52 16 Apr 03

It's actually kinder to leave the system on and avoid the constant surge on the components when it is switched on and off; switch off when you are finished for the day.

You can set timings for the hard drive, monitor etc to go on standby to whatever you wish.

sil_ver 23:03 16 Apr 03

If you do leave your PC on all the time make sure you have a smoke alarm somewhere nearby.

Switcher 23:08 16 Apr 03

Not whilst the occupants of the house are sleeping or the house is unoccupied. It could be a fire hazard especially the monitor.

DieSse 23:25 16 Apr 03

In practice, wear and tear are not measurably different whether you turn the system on and off each day, or leave it on all the time.

You also have to consider the insurance risks, if left unattended - and the energy/environmental effects of unnecessary power on time.

Basically the best compromise is to switch it off if you don't need it on, but leave it on when you have a requirement to.

Giggle n' Bits 01:02 17 Apr 03

system. There going to get warm, heat will shorten the life, evenutally strain the PSU.

I also agree with Silver/Switcer.

Giggle n' Bits 01:03 17 Apr 03

hugh-265156 01:18 17 Apr 03

im on broadband and switch off pc and cable before i go to bed as above.not worth waking up to find out your dead due to fire :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…