Is it ok to leave my pc on 24/7?

window man 21:08 27 Aug 03

I use my pc for business and it is in use on and off all day and evening and sometimes on as early as 5am and i wondered if it does the pc any harm to just leave it on? Does it shorten the life of the pc?

simongy 21:12 27 Aug 03

It could harm you in the wallet: when it comes to paying the electric bill!! I hope you don't leave your monitor on 24/7, even if its got a screen saver. You should leave it in stand-by mode when not in use for long periods of time. Make sure its connected to an anti-surge outlet. Well hope this boring info is of use!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:14 27 Aug 03

There are those who think that turning electrical components on and off shortens their lives. One of my computers has been on for a year now, although I have set the screen to turn off after 20 mins. of inactivity.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:16 27 Aug 03

A computer on standby uses minimal amounts of electricity. It will make naff all differnce to the Bill.

G

window man 21:19 27 Aug 03

Thanks for the info. My TFT screen is set to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity. I just wondered if it shortens the life of the pc?

Forum Editor 21:52 27 Aug 03

and often cropped up in the early days of the forum.

Modern computers are designed to run for very long periods without being turned off. Web servers are just computers (although some of them are pretty big and pretty expensive)and they run constantly - only being turned off very occasionally for essential maintenance.

Your computer can do the same thing if you want it to, and although something will fail eventually there are those who say that the components will benefit from not being constantly turned on and off; all those thermal cycles can lead to material fatigue and something that glorifies in the name of 'Chip creep'. The theory is that repeated heating and cooling cycles can cause a chip's pins to 'creep' out of the sockets, making for poor electrical contact.

All in all I'm in favour of leaving computers running. They use virtually no electricity on stand-by, and those in my office stay on from Monday morning until Friday evening. They get two days rest at weekends, but I don't, and nor does the machine I'm using to write this.

spuds 00:13 28 Aug 03

Don't forget to use surge protection devices.

Djohn 00:38 28 Aug 03

Yep! I tend to leave mine on most of the time as well. [turn off monitor]. Think the only bad way would be to constantly turn on and off several times each day, for reasons stated above by FE. j.

Peverelli 00:44 28 Aug 03

I work in a place that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year etc. We've got some old Compaq 333MHz computers that have been left on for the last 5 years with no problems, so I can confirm that it certainly does no harm to leave the thing on. Even leaving the monitor on isn't going to do that much harm to your wallet but, obviously, it'll save you money (and will be a little more environmently friendly) to turn the monitor off when not needed.

The Sack 01:09 28 Aug 03

Sometimes my PC goes for 2 weeks without turning it off, on the other hand it can get turned off 6 times a day. Either way it hasnt gone bang yet :o)

Chegs ® 02:32 28 Aug 03

I also leave mine on(line) 24/7,I started running UD a year ago,and ever since it was installed on my puter,it only gets shutdown if I encounter a problem due to heat(8+ fans try to cool it all)When I was using 98se,it had to be shutdown overnite as on attempting to access the puter after long periods of inactivity,it used to freeze.XP doesn't suffer from this,and rarely even gets restarted(unless the AutoUpdate requires it)The monitor switches off after 20 mins,and the HDD's are set to off after 20 mins,but NTFS + UD=Thrashing HDD's so they never go off. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…