Is it OK to instal Service Pack 2 now?

katswhiskers 10:04 03 Dec 04

I've just bought a new laptop. Is it OK to instal Service Pack 2 now, or will I get problems with it - should I wait a bit? Thanks.

feb 10:07 03 Dec 04
  Graham ® 10:07 03 Dec 04

It may have it already, have you checked?

Noelg23 11:51 03 Dec 04

like Graham says it should have Sp2 on it already...to check just hold on the Windows button thats between Ctrl and Alt and whilst holding that down press the Pause/Break key (located next to the Num Lock, Scroll Lock Keys) after doing this a box will appear, just look at the right hand side of the box and it will tell you whether its Sevice Pack 2 or Service Pack 1.

Jackcoms 11:56 03 Dec 04

And if it doesn't already have SP2 what do you imagine has changed between now and when it was first released?

What do you want to 'wait' for?

katswhiskers 14:05 03 Dec 04

Thanks feb - very helpful.

No, I don't have it. The supplier does not instal it yet because there have been a lot of problems with it.

Jackcoms 14:15 03 Dec 04

katswhiskers

"there have been a lot of problems with it".

As one (of many) who installed SP2 some months ago (mid-August), without any problems, I'm fascinated to know what these problems are - I think we're talking rumour mill here.

You'll find that, in general, those people who did have problems were the ones who didn't bother to undertake some basic PC housekeeping before installing SP2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 03 Dec 04

Owing to the increased security options in SP2 It is silly not to have it.

Main problem has been for people with a prescott cpu.

In the unlikely event of you having problems we are here in the helproom aswell as the SP2 forum.

PA28 14:25 03 Dec 04

I haven't had any problems with SP2 (touch wood, rabbits foot, etc). Install now as you have a clean(ish) system; this seems far less likely to raise any of the issues that seem to have come up. Then go into the security centre and tweak it so that it does what it should do without getting in your way all the time. Go for it.

Stuartli 14:46 03 Dec 04

I've also had no problems with SP2 and XP Pro - in fact the upgrade was done almost from the moment it was released several weeks ago.

You only hear about those who have had problems, not the millions around the world who haven't...

However, to rest easy, create a System Restore point before you install SP2. If you do have any problems - and it's unlikely on a fresh OS - you can always remove SP2 from Add/Remove Programs and revert back to where you were.

feb 16:26 03 Dec 04

Have a read of these for more information on installing SP2

click here

click here

click here

click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…